Author Topic: Does switching bows affect accuracy?  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Marks

Does switching bows affect accuracy?
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:48:53 am »
I hear on hear a lot about folks switching from bow to bow often or making a bow right before a hunting trip or deciding which bow they want to take........
Does switching bow not affect accuracy? I know your brain does the work when it comes to aiming but wouldn't your brain shoot better on a bow it was familiar with? Some are faster/slower and produce different arcs for your arrow. I mean, I'm more comfortable in my truck. I can drive others but I don't feel as confident in them. Same with my guns, hunting dogs, atv, wife,   ;) ....etc

Offline 4dog

Re: Does switching bows affect accuracy?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 11:10:53 am »
From all ive read and heard and discussed and tried my answer would be ...yes..but.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 11:13:54 am »
It affects me a little transitioning from one bow to another. A few arrows is all it usually takes though.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:15:00 am »
I think it's like jonW said but I still like to stick to my one favorite bow
I like osage

Offline 4dog

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 11:16:31 am »
JonW told you the ..but..in my post...lol
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 11:23:37 am »
Switching bows doesn't affect my accuracy at all.  I can't shoot worth a hoot with any of them.    :-[  That being said, if you are in good practice, your form, muscle memory and all the other stuff being done properly,  your mind will adjust your aim pretty quick to a new bow.  The basics are the slow learning curve.  Josh

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 11:42:59 am »
Like said ,a few shots usually makes the adjustments.my shooting is like my pool skills,some times I'm hot and sometimes not.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:47:33 am »
All bows shoot a little bit different. It doesn't seem to take me too long to adjust, but I do have one bow I go back to every time. It's like an old pair of comfortable shoes. I try to fit the bow to the job as well... longer for pure target, and shorter for hunting.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:00:33 pm »
I'm sure it affects some people more than others, but...

BEWARE OF THE MAN WITH ONE BOW!
45# at 27"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 12:04:21 pm »
Once in a while I shoot with a guy who used to shoot in these tournaments etc.He pays close attention to details and the deatails he will say are whether your hand placement is the same[pressure point,high or low on hand],how much different positive tiller the bow has compared to the other,center shot or not of course,but still he has a favorite that he hunts with alone.Because he says he just has confidence in that bow because he's been shooting it for years.I try to make my bows all shoot exactly the same.Same handle,same tiller,same arrow placement on shelf,and same draw length.Most times I come close but your right I think Marks that shooting one for a long time you get used to the way it shoots.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 12:05:47 pm »
I think some of it is your hand to eye coordination for different stuations.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Marks

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:43:51 pm »
For target practice I understand shooting whatever bow you feel like but in a hunting situation where you are likely gonna wake up before daylight and sit a few hours in the cold and possibly release that one arrow in a pressure situation I would want that comfort bow in my hand instead of the one I finished a few days ago. Of course, I have yet to finish my first bow so what do I know ::). That's why I ask yall. I hope to have mine finished by bow season but I don't know that I will be comfortable hunting with it this late in the game.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 12:54:01 pm »
As you mentioned, using your normal bow, pick-up truck, or wife just feels somehow safer and more familiar.   ...but sometimes you get a yin to try out someone elses' bows, or pick-up truck, etc.   >:D >:D >:D  Your accuracy may suffer a bit, ...but it could be exciting!  ...or dangerous!!! :o :o :o

OneBow

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 01:33:42 pm »
Yes, bc every bow shoots a little bit different.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Marks

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »
As you mentioned, using your normal bow, pick-up truck, or wife just feels somehow safer and more familiar.   ...but sometimes you get a yin to try out someone elses' bows, or pick-up truck, etc.   >:D >:D >:D  Your accuracy may suffer a bit, ...but it could be exciting!  ...or dangerous!!! :o :o :o

OneBow

I wondered if anyone would pick up on that.  ;)