Author Topic: My 1st Osage Bow.  (Read 3835 times)

Offline TimPotter

My 1st Osage Bow.
« on: September 25, 2013, 12:48:15 pm »
66" N-to-N and 65# at 28"

This bow was hacked out with a hatchet and bowie knife from a sweet stave given me by Danny (Kssidewinder) Then I pretty much rasped it out and scrapped it down to tiller. I really pleased with this bow.

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

blackhawk

Re: My 1st Osage Bow.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 12:55:38 pm »
Turned out sweet thimo....welcome to pa...thanks for posting it over here too...if your ever up in pa stop on by and I'll send ya off with some more of that gold if gold fever has struck ya...

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 12:58:32 pm »
Real nice bow..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 01:22:36 pm »
That would be great Blackhawk. I'm really into the old Arthur Young style bows at the moment and more osage would fit into that plan nicely. After years spent playing around a bit with warbows made from elm I toned down a bit to make more vintage style flat-bows in the 60-85# range. I'm more into durable hunting designs now.

Thanks for the compliments guys. :-)
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline rps3

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 01:41:34 pm »
Looks good. Are you the same guy I would watch build too heavy for me war bows on paleoplanet?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 01:51:57 pm »
nice, i like it.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 01:55:22 pm »
Nicely done, I  must be weak, 65# makes me cringe.
45# at 27"

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 02:03:53 pm »
GOOD JOB!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Capt

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 02:07:25 pm »
Looks great Tim.. i'm with ya on the durable hunting style bow design... practicality is a bid deal when your out there in the field.... Not too long and not too heavy..... a durable finish and a blend in colour scheme would be key too i guess...

I just Finished my 1st Osage bow too... actually my second bow total..... its 63"NTN and 60#@28" recurved tips.... you can check it out in a recent thread...
Capt's 2nd bow is how the title starts...

I plan to maybe stain 8" or so of the tips and some stain out of the handle and put rattlesnake skins on the back.... just so it blends into the bush a little better....

will you be putting any extra finish on there...

Bests and nice job.. Capt

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:46:46 pm »
Thanks guys.

Capt. I toyed with the idea of putting a water-moccasin skin on it, but am saving it for putting over a sinew bow I'm working on. As to finish a do a low luster beeswax-n-walnut oil rub. Too shiny and sunlight reflects much like a mirror. A dark brown stain on the back is ok too. I just hate to hide such pretty wood. :-)

Yes I'm the same Paleoplanet guy. I still make them but more for seeing how far a 3 oz. arrow will fly. And basically I'm a history nut. :-) Which now I'm more after, on the heavy elb topic, what a 12th-14th century Welsh or English hunter would carry and use. But also currently I'm really into the 1920's era American Hunting set up.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 04:37:19 pm »
I should clarify. This is my 1st osage that didn't break. I had several years ago made one while visiting in California. I even had it ready to be blessed by two of Bowyerology's higher clergy. Then snap! Might have been the climate or just a bad piece of wood, or the reckless tillering of a person placing all their faith in the magic of this golden wood. But lets face it. Bows break when not fashioned properly, no matter the wood species.

Here is the bow that didn't make it. I always wondered what Tim Baker was thinking, something like "Hmmmm it'll probably break right there, but I'll keep that to myself and let this young upstart learn that for himself." 8)

Offline bowmo

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 04:53:15 pm »
Nice lookin' bow. Wish Tim Baker could judge my bows in person and tell me everything I did wrong!

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 05:13:56 pm »
Nice looking bow. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 09:20:31 pm »
if your close to eastern west virginia ill be down there this weekend,i could take some along if your not to far away and wanna pick em up...shoot me a pm if so

love seeing pics of the past....and steve hasn't changed much since last I saw him  :D

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:03 pm »
Tim,
Sweet bow  nice lines . Very clean. Hate to see ya have to put something on that wood. Just give it a couple of years and it will darken up nicely. Osage bows really look good to me when new , and when old for that matter.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250