Author Topic: Rawhide backing  (Read 6942 times)

Offline bluegill68

Re: Rawhide backing
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 07:46:27 pm »
Fred,

This is how I do it. Not sur eif this was what you were searching for or not

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,32398.msg428391.html#msg428391

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 06:37:02 am »
I do it about like Pearl,except the first coat of Tb3 over night,don't do that.I use
to wrap it in an ace bandage but don't do that anymore either. TB3 dries pretty quick and I find easier and less chance of air bubbles if I just stay with it till it dries. Patting lightly and a little rubbing  :o ??? ;) :) On Osage I do wipe it down with acetone on Denatured alcohol .Usually don't bother with white wood unless I have used oil in heat straightening. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 08:02:55 am »
I do the same as Pearl and Pappy except I use a sharp file to cut the sides over the edge.  I seem to do better with that than a sharp knife or razor.  I was cutting into the wood with the knife.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline 4dog

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 08:35:05 am »
Pappy pets too???? :o :o :o ??? :-\
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 09:10:40 am »
 I use hide glue,  and iron it on without wetting it...................................... What does that say about me? ??? :o :-X

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 09:19:34 am »
I use hide glue,  and iron it on without wetting it...................................... What does that say about me? ??? :o :-X

You do it differently! That's all it says to me. Ive heard of that method and Im sure it works dandy to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 10:51:25 am »

I think that's how Torges does his rawhide. I believe I saw an article on his method once. Didn't make any sense to me, but to each his own. As long as the end result is the same, who's ta say?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 12:34:11 pm »
IF you decide to use the Ace bandage wrap, or any other fabric wrap, you may end up with fabric pattern embossed on the rawhide.  To fix that, take the Ace bandages off right after the glue begins to set.  Then wipe down the rawhide with a sopping wet cloth or sponge.  Mop it real good to cause it to re-wet and plump back up.  If using TBIII, the glue will reject the moisture from the re-wetting because it has already started down that path to being water resistant!  (Man, I love that TBIII) 

I ain't even contributing to the further southward migration of this thread.  I am a reformed man!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 01:03:24 pm »
Well I finished the backing yesterday afternoon using TB III with no wrapping, only stroking and petting until I determined It was satisfactory. I retired to rest early and awoke at 3:30 this AM. All looked well so I trimmed the excess with my Bessie and used a fine double cut Nicholson, then 220 grit to smooth it all down. It looks good ;D. Looks like no air bubbles anyway. The only area that didn't hold down solid was the very bottom of the lower limb tip where I plan on adding tip overlays so I consider it a success. Next time I may use a rubber band right at the tip nocks.

I've plenty of rawhide remaining and am going to use the Dean Torges guide with hide glue on my next attempt which will likely be another of my osage staves. Although my next project is final tiller on a 57 1/2" ntn osage and backing it with sinew to try to get a safe 28" draw from it.

And since I haven't posted this one yet, here's a pic of a 64" NTN 45@28 take down osage that I'm just finishing.

I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 12:14:21 am »
IF you decide to use the Ace bandage wrap, or any other fabric wrap, you may end up with fabric pattern embossed on the rawhide.  To fix that, take the Ace bandages off right after the glue begins to set.  Then wipe down the rawhide with a sopping wet cloth or sponge.  Mop it real good to cause it to re-wet and plump back up.  If using TBIII, the glue will reject the moisture from the re-wetting because it has already started down that path to being water resistant!  (Man, I love that TBIII) 

I ain't even contributing to the further southward migration of this thread.  I am a reformed man!

That's why I put a piece of leather between the bandage or inner tube and the rawhide.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:15:13 pm by adb »

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 12:26:18 am »
You guys have all been a great help and I want to extend my thanks to all of you. Thumbs up to all of you.

And JW when did this reformation come about?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 09:01:35 am »
You guys have all been a great help and I want to extend my thanks to all of you. Thumbs up to all of you.

I was wondering the same! :laugh:

Offline 4dog

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 10:14:24 am »
Wheres the pics bro?? Be nice and post one for the boys' fantasy time,, "nudge,nudge,...wink,wink" ya know whatta mean  ;)!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 10:55:46 pm »

I was wondering the same! :laugh:

When I got to the post late and everyone else had already posted all the good one liners!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 11:07:20 pm »
Hey I got energetic today and did a little finish work inside the living area of my metal building and "home". What do you guys think? I even got some family photos hung. The passageway and window trim came from an old farm building that I tore down last year.