Author Topic: Not your usual handle pop off[fix & pics added][finish & pics added]  (Read 11895 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Not your usual handle pop off[fix & pics added]
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 11:05:30 pm »
I gotta admit you got get a lot of respect from this community for not taking any lip off this wood!  Way to show it who's boss, Ed! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 09:22:29 am »
Hey I'm a nice guy JW.You just don't know me yet......LOL.I'm trying to work with this wood not wrestle it into submission.Still shooting it in.I've even tried to dress it up a little before finish.I'm beginning to trust it more and more.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 03:19:09 pm »
That's just it, I've seen enough of your bows to understand you know what a wood can and cannot do.  All you are doing is taking a firm and fatherly hand to this one and correcting the error of it's ways!  And as it responds to your influence, it is earning back your trust.  Before long he will be able to ask for the keys to the car again.    >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Not your usual handle pop off[fix & pics added][finish & pics added]
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 03:34:33 pm »
OK I finally got this bow shot in here and trust it.Black locust 61.5"NTN,52.5#@28.5".1 and 5/16" wide just above the fade wraps tapered to 1" 10.5" from tip then quickly down to 7/16" tips.A holmgaardish type bow.The tips are pretty much stiff leaving around 30" to 32" working imbs working clear into the fades.7/16" thick midlimb.It hovers a 1/4" above at rest to 1/4" below after shooting two to three hours.Still very stout to unstring.The handle started out with about 3/4" deflex as a stave to begin with the mid to outer limbs reflexed.Guess I could of flipped the tips some but thought the limbs were stressed enough.The bow weighed 13.05 ounces before rawhide and sinew wraps and finish.14.30 ounces as is now.A fair amount of poundage for a 63" TTT self bow with a stiff handle.It sorta reminds me of the bow in the TBB 4 book on page 99 done by Juri.This one I'd say could be figured with a 6" handle too.
I dressed it up a little with some camel hair colored silk wraps,dyed the rawhide handle to a saddle brown,sheep horn overlays,a little round bone strike plat for a reference point,and some satin spar varnish.It shoots smooth,quiet,and pleasant.Groups well and hits where I'm looking.It shoots my 55# spined 520 grain tonkin arrows with a very good cast.I've grown to like it quite a bit.
The next black locust if at the same length will be a little wider or be adjusted accordingly.
Thanks for looking.
Top view
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 03:35:42 pm »
Side view
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 03:36:57 pm »
Side view from tip to tip
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 03:37:53 pm »
Tip
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 03:38:50 pm »
Handle
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 03:40:00 pm »
Braced
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 03:41:11 pm »
Money shot
BowEd
Ed

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 03:47:31 pm »
That bow looks great.  Way to save it from the kindling pile.  Thanks for the pics :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2013, 04:24:25 pm »
Thanks Matt.It really was a pretty much straight forward type of fix but a bit of waiting,waiting, waiting for everything to dry,cure, & shot in etc,but sometimes it's worth the wait.I had to convince myself it was going to hold together good so there's at least 400 arrows through this bow.I've shot it so much & gotten tuned into it that I'm in the stand with it now.Lots of action out there.Good luck to eveyone trying for a white tail.
BowEd
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2013, 05:02:19 pm »
Turned out sweet Ed...should be a "shooter" ...thanks for sharing :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2013, 09:37:45 am »
We have a storm here this morning so no time in the stand this morning anyway.I should mention the reason for this bows low mass weight is because of the the heat treatment I gave to it.Side tillering to my draw weight.A combination of side and belly removal is best.This bow was a tree 2 and 1/2 months ago.Reducing the stave every week or so down to a roughed out bow.From a pie shaped stave 5" wide to a stave 2" wide 1 and1/2" deep to a roughed out bow with the handle 1 and 1/2" deep with the limbs 3/4" deep and 2" wide to a profiled width cut out bow 1/8" within the final dimensions.Over this time it sets in front of my dehumidifier with a fan on it.I don't have central air and heat my place with wood only.I don't use a hot box either.A dehumidifier will run a lot cheaper than air conditioning.About 5 to 10 dollars a month.I store my bows horizontally in this enviornment always.No problems whatsoever of lose of draw weight of any bows even hickory.I keep at least 4 humidity guages throughout the house here.All staying at 45% to 55% humidity.Here's a picture or two of how I do it.It's not the best way or the only way just my way.Good tillering is a must here too.Getting wood to at least 8% will lots of times avoid having to reheat treat the wood which to me is not a good thing lots of times for wood.First the storage rack.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2013, 09:39:44 am »
Temperature and humidity guage.
BowEd
Ed