Author Topic: for the love of sinew ! ( and unknown wood type )  (Read 1531 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
for the love of sinew ! ( and unknown wood type )
« on: September 21, 2013, 07:01:26 pm »
Ok .. so have you ever found some wood . And did not know what kind of wood it was ... but you split the log and the grqin is perfectly straight and the wood is yellow and hard ... so you say f### it ... and get to draw knifing ????? Well thats this bow . Its a tree i. Florida with curled ( bananna shaped) leaves and it is in bloom right now so the tree from afar is green and bright yellow . Smooth bark ( somewhat) ... anyways i made a kinda skinny paddle bow style bow from this and just got done puttin g about 4 cow legs worth of sinew on it .... god i wish i knew what kind of tree this was .... tomorrow i will be sinew backing a cypress long flatbow im making ( seminole style )  i will keep all of you posted my friends ...

JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: for the love of sinew ! ( and unknown wood type )
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:49:57 pm »
Well I'd say sinew will enhance about any kind of wood out there.Let us know what you find out about the tree too.Maybe show a picture of it.I'd like to see what your cypress flat bow ends up looking like too.I've never worked it before.Have you been making bows a while?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:52:55 pm »
Did you do 1 layer of sinew at a time or put all the sinew down at once?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline 4dog

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 12:19:21 am »
Why does sinew always remind me of nightmare on elm street?
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 01:17:39 am »
Well the wood sucked ... it broke .... and i went to thT link and na its not that tree . Ssorry . I cNt find what tree it is .. but it is no good :( even with sinew after drying it for over a week it broke while i was just scrapping on it . Ohwell i get my sinew for free so . No biggie . And i will be posting the cypress flat bow soon . And not really thT long ... i been building bows for about two years i guess . I started out with sinew backing . Then moved to self bows . And now im messing with sinew again . And finally . Yes its one layer . It looks narley in the pics but it wasent that much when it dryed it was actually only like an eighth inch thick across the back . I usually seperat the strands and make little bunddles like a half inch wide and six inches long or so and wet them ... then glue them and lay them brick and morter style sometimes i go back and do a second coat sometimes i dont . With sinew i go for stregth and function . Not looks . And for that matter i think ruff sinew on a bow kinda looks cool :) thanks for checking out my bows and i hope i answered all questions well .
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 01:21:25 am »
Ps . Cherokee . The pics were right when i got done gluing ... and the bow had a curved back so it looks piled on . Its actually not .