Author Topic: hickory flat self bow backed with rattle snake skin  (Read 4889 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
hickory flat self bow backed with rattle snake skin
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:14:27 pm »
This bow is 48# @ 28" it is 72"tip to tip backed with real diamond back skin (one snakes worth) i cut this hickory limb off a big tree in my friends yard outside of orlando fl. The limb was only about 3" in diamitor ... i only let it season for one month in a hot garage befor building it . And it snaked out on me hence the snake skin lol . But shoots great ! I reflexed the tips and it has some deflex off the handle so it is deflex reflex ...... that and it being so long makes it a wonderful bow to shoot ... and the snakyness worked in my favor as it made the string run to the left of handle making the bow center shot :)
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hickory flat self bow backed with rattle snake skin
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 11:47:18 pm »
She looks good. How much set did she take being only a short time off the tree?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:51:46 pm »
Actually not that much . An inch or two heres a pic of the top limb unstrung
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 11:54:36 pm »
The handle is jjust out of frame to the right (had to crop pic for size restrictions)

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:59:33 pm »
Your bow is... HUGE! I bet it shoots very smooth with that much length. It kinda reminds me a bit of a Meare Heath bow.

It's impossible to assess tiller with your pic.

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 01:03:06 am »
I just kinda worked with :o what i had.  I cut the limb and then made the bow from the limb freestyle ... no lines no lay out ( except center for handle ) but yeah ... i just let that limb become what ever bow it wanted to be :) and yes it does shoot nice .. i gave it to my brother so ... he really liles it

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 08:33:40 am »
  Nice looking skins and character, I really like the look of that bow. I love me some hickory it is tough stuff...Way to go Rock!  Was that a big Eastern you also got from Florida?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:37:46 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 01:16:43 pm »
It is a eastern . And yes it is one snake.  !!!!!!  But i found it in the trash.  :)

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 04:32:35 pm »
Well done. And fast work at that. You don't mess around do you.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 06:34:35 pm »
Well im unemployed right now so ... in the last two months . I hve built like ten bows . Haha