Author Topic: finished vine maple flat/selfbow ( with pics)  (Read 4587 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
finished vine maple flat/selfbow ( with pics)
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:10:26 pm »
This is my vine maple bow it is a flat bow and it is a self bow this was actually relatively speaking a very short build after that everything wa after that everything was cosmeticte handle riser is made from "yew" ( taxus) the bow is a great hunting bow ... i just removed the bark and exposed the wood some under bark is still preasent but possez no pronlem and provides  I really like this  I really like this bow its one of my faves it pulls 55# @ 26" it took aome set ( about 1- 1/4 " and the stave came with deflex already . It is 66" tip to tip and at 30 yards i am no joke with this thing .
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

Re: finished vine maple flat/selfbow ( with pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 04:17:36 pm »
Sorry . I tried to do speak and spell on my phone . .... the bow took about 3 hours to make after that it was all cosmetic ... the under bark provides a natural camoflaug.  Hope you like the pics
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 04:21:50 pm »
The tips look like they could be reduced a bit without bending. My experience, including with vine maple, is that the tips don't need to be more than a millimeter thicker than the last bit of bending limb to function, and with overlays can be incredibly thin with the only risk being that you'll hit them on something and break them off.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:33:18 pm »
I agree . I was thinking of making them smaller mainly because i cannot slide the stri g down them but a few inches. They are only 3/8 wide but are 5/8 thick at the very tips and get wider then skinny again as they go down . Just so.ethi g new i tried . This was my first vinemaple stave . And i freestyled it ... but thank you and i think i will take your advice :) .

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 08:23:06 pm »
I'd bet you'll have a real beast in your hands once it's more mass efficient; the tiller looks spot on for all the character vine maple likes to throw at you  ;)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.