Author Topic: So Ashamed- Buying Wood  (Read 11259 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: So Ashamed- Buying Wood
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 10:42:30 am »
That is some pretty wood, makes me wanna stay out in the shop for a few days. Won't be back from work till a few days before X-mas.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

DCM

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 08:17:38 pm »
Lazy basitid.  I just feel so dirty, having only thought about it.  How do you live with yourself?  LOL

Not so much twist I'd leave it lay, but more than I'd purposely cut.  Got a stave and billet on every split I reckon, being 9' long.  I hauled a big tree up out the bottom one day at the farm and when I got up to the shed the neighbor cousin had a odd look on his face.  "You cut it all too short."  .-)

Hope all is well up yonder.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 08:43:37 pm »
The guy said he had a better log for us but it "got away from him", I guess somebody snatched it for a post.  The bark on this looked pretty straight but I was a little dissappointed when we made that first split and it wasn't perfectl straight.  But its got to have something wrong with it.  Plus this way the guy won't be tempted to raise the price.  I'm almost as cheap as I am lazy.

Things are good up here, how about there?  Haven't found a weekend to scoot down that way yet.  Got a new position at the cement plant, a little higher on the ladder.  And I'm learning to invest in the stock market.  Thats not about pigs and cattle as it turns out.

Hope your log turns out almost as good as mine.  Thats as generous as I can get.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

DCM

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 10:26:53 pm »
Real fine.  Thanks for asking. 

Saving is a good thing, as is finding one's way along the food chain.  Equities are at all time highs however, similarly commodities.  Perhaps some value in bank stocks.

Osage is like a box of chocolates.  Don't recall how the log cuz commented on turned out, other than I recall it was big wood.  I tend to prefer 40 yo stuff, but I ain't picky, 'specially when somebody else does all the work.

Yollar when ya'll find your wanderin' shoes.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 11:51:50 pm »
yep, I know just what you mean about splitting those osage logs in half and yes our wedges poped out on us several times and with some serious force to. I think if one hit you in the head it could knock you out cold.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 12:34:29 am »
Be careful with those stocks Tom, that nuts fixing to crack and it won't be pretty. Commodities that you can posess, thats where the secure investment is. Well, that and making sure youv'e got eternity covered. But thats another post. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 10:40:07 am »
I'm heavily invested in commodities.  Have osage, black locust, hickory, hackberry, even yew.  All your staples.

Guess my latest purchase falls in the category of a hedge fund.

I've day-traded my way to 25% so far, thinking I'll break 30 with this little run-up we're seeing.  My 401K just broke 30% too, its been a good year even if it is living on the edge.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

DCM

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 11:41:11 am »
We're getting pretty close to the edge here, but you are smart enough to know "timing" the equities market is a fool's game.  Gains aren't profits till you take them, and then the 15% cap gains tax negates a good bit of it.  Plus, then how do you make what's left work for you?  Fact is fixed income returns suck right now, and for the forseeable future.   Stick with a long term strategy, and count yer chickens when the actually hatch.

And I disagree commodities are a good value, gold is darn near twice it's actual value.  Farm commidites are extremely volatile, even if a percieved value today.

There may be some localized value in real estate.  You got the patience for being a landlord?  It's a sure bet, if you do.

I loved yer puns though.

We keep this up and somebody is gonna, rightly so, call us on it.  And you'll owe me a home brew for sure.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 12:42:28 pm »
Market timing is gambling, no doubt about it.  But I have some experience with certain companies that gives me a good or bad feeling, so when I see them coming up for earnings reports I have been gambling and have been right more than wrong so far.  Of course the resulting short-term capital gains are taxed even higher, as regular income.  So I'm considering taking a buy-and-hold strategy for this upcoming year, at least for a good percentage of my dab of money.  My brother is a landlord and from the trials and tribulations he's had I don't know that I want to go that way.  It'd cut into my hunting and bowbuilding time for sure.

There, I managed to relate this back to bowbuilding.

Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 12:54:54 pm »
Yeah, I love your choice of commodities. A man has got to keep his priorities in line thats for sure. We have a wheat grinder and I built a pulley system to use on an excercise bike and we grind our own and she is making our bread. I bought 500lbs before the poor wheat harvest at $7.50 per 50lb bag, now I can't even buy it if I wanted it. If I wanted to sell it as seed it would probabely fetch double or more, but its not for sale. Thats the kind of commodities that are gonna be good investments. Yeah gold is gonna keep rising as the dollar keeps falling but I don't put much stock in riches, "cuz ya caint eat gold".  Anyway good having fun with you guys and I hope things contiue to go your way..Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 01:06:39 pm »
Watch this bunch, they won't want to help grow, harvest, grind or make bread, but they'll want a piece (ala little red hen story).  I do low carb so I won't bogart your wheat.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Rich Saffold

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 12:46:55 pm »
Lennie, I think we have the same commodities broker ;) I bet you could sell half of that haul at Mojam, and get your return on your investment, plus have a couple left...Don't think this market gonna plummet as hard..

Rich-it actually rained here

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 01:33:18 pm »
MOJAM is a buyers market any more.  And the buyers are pretty picky at that.

It snowed 3" here.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2007, 09:18:35 pm »
We arent picky Lennie...we just got a bit more knowledge from this sight to buy just any peice a wood now ;)...the first peice of sage I got from Mojam was sawed out instead of split....that was a costly lesson!! Now I run from bandsawed staves...but I know you wouldnt sell anything like that peice ::)...good luck with the sage.....Brian

p.s...the snow sure was purty...then I had to shovel it ;)
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 09:18:48 pm »
Finally downloaded the pic of the logs at the hegepost guy's place.  Of course the quality of the camera stinks btu you get the idea of what this guy had laying around.  This was just the endpost pile (bigger logs), he had twice that much in smaller posts.  Thats my buddy standing by the pile.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lennie
Hannibal, MO