Author Topic: can you make a bow string from a linen cloth ?  (Read 6844 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
can you make a bow string from a linen cloth ?
« on: September 16, 2013, 08:44:36 pm »
Im buying some linen cloth to back my elb just for longevity and security and peace of mind.  And i was wondering if i could make a linen bow string from the left over cloth i will have 2 yards by 54 " so after backking both my elb and my vinemaple flaTbow i will have tons of this stuff left . . Can i just get a desired amount and twist it into a string . Or cut it into tiny thin long strips and make a string flemish twist ect . Please let me know if it being cloth instead of string will matter
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

Re: can you make a bow string from a linen cloth ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:53:18 pm »
I guess . No one knows the answer to this . ...... weird .
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:45 pm »
Twist one up and test it, then you'll have an answer next time its asked.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:22:23 pm »
Now that we've established that no one knows and we're guessing :). I would strip the individual threads out and twist them. If you use thin strips of cloth you would have the short crossways threads that (I think) would just be adding bulk. They wouldn't add much strength , if any. It would be one of those mindless tasks you could do when your wife insists on watching" Dancing with the Stars"

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:29:39 pm »
it might work, but i would also suggest plucking out the little fibers that run across.
45# at 27"

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 03:55:43 pm »
I would guess no. It takes good quality linen thread in the first place to make a good bow string, some linen threads are weak and will only make big fat strings, and will then still be prone to breaking. (I experimented with some so called "100% linen thread" from michaels one time, :) ) Using the cloth, you might be able to make a bow rope, but not a bow string. If you are looking for bow string locally, I have heard tell from sleek on here that spiderwire (I think it's called) works good, it's a fishing line.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 03:57:26 pm »
Gonna be real tough to pull off.  It could probably be done but it will end up being very thick and sluggish.  Do you need a string or are you just looking to find a way to use the thread?
1’—>1’

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 10:41:02 am »
I kept wathching this to see what everyone thought. I have no clue but it seems really unlikely to me that it would work. But you never know until you ask ... or try!

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 02:06:10 pm »
Thanks guys for the feed back .... as always .. super helpful . My friends for sure .... i think i will just stock the linen for bow backing ... i have lots of sinew right now from cows too so i dont really need linen unless it was traditionally used ( like on elbs ) and i want to stay traditional .... i guess i can try out the power pro or spiderwire stuff . Does anyone know how to do that ?

Offline dbb

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:05 am »
If you gonna use fishingline (Power pro,spiderwire etc.)and make a flemish twist,make the overlaps longer! Atleast if the bows is a bit heavier draw.
I have tried a couple of times and get problem with the twist slipping over time if i use "normal" overlap.
I make the overlap 2-2.5" longer and it stops the slipping.
Otherway is to make a endless loop= no slip but a little more tinkering to serve the loops,both ways work.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 11:42:38 am »
Does wax take to the Spider Wire? I never tried fishing line, seems like it would be slick and hard to work with?

Offline dbb

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 11:44:50 am »
Does wax take to the Spider Wire? I never tried fishing line, seems like it would be slick and hard to work with?
It sticks,but not great,i used a bit of soft leather to "buff" it in there.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Don Case

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 10:57:04 pm »
Spider wire and some other fishing lines have a coating of some kind. Maybe to make it slide though the eyelets? I use it for sheeting on my R/C model sailboats. I usually tie a knot and then put a drop of CA on it to lock the knot. With the coated lines, the knots will still slip. I have soaked the Spider wire in lacquer thinner and then wash it in soapy water. Then when you tie a knot and CA it you can see the CA wick into the line and the knot will hold. If you can find cheap, bulk Spectra it is not coated and would probably not slip in a Flemish string. I wonder about using braided line in a twisted string. Wouldn't half the thread be going the wrong way? Probably doesn't matter.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 11:01:30 pm »
You can get linen thread from a fabric store. Seems more logical to me.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 01:54:33 pm »
I have been using pre-waxed linen from the craft store. It's used to make necklaces, It really works pretty well. The fishing line is intriguing to me though, I think I'm going to try it just for fun. Worst case, I can go fishing if it doesn't work out!