Author Topic: blackpowder rifles  (Read 7101 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
blackpowder rifles
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:55:39 pm »
Im looking into the possibility of getting an old style blackpowder rifle, and was hoping some of you guys might have some advice on where to look for one/ what to look for in a rifle once I find one. Right now I have an inline, but after starting to build bows a few years ago, I am wanting to get into an earlier time period gun. Thanks ahead of time.

Offline wildman

Re: blackpowder rifles
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22:38 am »
How authentic are you looking to be? Alot of directions you can go with this, caplock,flintlock,rifle,smoothbore and on and on. As an off the shelf gun T/C still makes some more traditional style rifles as well as Lyman. You can get some decent kits out there for around $700 that anyone that can build a bow can produce a working firearm. Guess what I'm saying is the possibilities are endless.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:34:44 am »
check out jim chambers muzzleloaders and muzzleloader kits
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:02:16 am »
And Dixie Gun Works and Track of the Wolf.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wildman

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 02:01:32 pm »
Jedidiah Star and NW trading are also good

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 10:20:58 pm »
In case you should run across a used one that you are thinking of buying, go out to a sporting goods store with a large fishing department.  Ask for the little LED light replacememts for the glowing fishing bobbers.  Firefox makes one that is only slightly larger than a pencil lead!  The battery doesn't last too long, but for the $3 you spend, you can save your life.

Drop this little led booger down the barrel with the light shining back up at you and stick your eyeball to muzzle.  Look at the condition of the bore.  If ANYTHING looks crappy, ask them to swab the barrel with a couple of patches with solvent or at least water.  Look again.  If there is anything that looks rough or pitted, walk away quickly and steadily. 

There are thousands of second hand muzzleloaders that have been shot and not cleaned.  They tend to be the least expensive guns with questionable steel barrels in the first place.  No sense buying what you think is a rifle only to find it is a grenade!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: black powder rifles
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:07:08 am »
This is going to take a while;

If you are just getting into traditional black powder go with a finished rifle, like JW said, lots of used ones out there, lots with essentially ruined barrels from not being cleaned but some gems as well. TC doesn't make side locks any more, Lyman does and would be my first choice. Traditions, Cabalas' and CVA make OK entry level guns.

As for kits there are two types, assembly kits(TC, Lyman,Traditions) that are no more than minor parts fitting and stock finishing and parts kits like the Chambers kits that require a considerable amount of wood and metal working skills a vast array of tools, a shop or other place to work and a couple hundred hours time to complete. The third choice would be a scratch build consisting of a block of wood and a pile of parts ,the most difficult to complete but also the most satisfying.

Here is my last scratch build, an English Fowler turkey gun.

Finished except for applying the stock and barrel finish.

Another choice would be percussion or flint. I like flint but it definitely has a learning curve to be proficient with. They don't call them "flinch locks" for nothing.

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 12:56:44 pm »
This is some great insight, thanks a lot everyone!

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:19 pm »
Good advice JW.. Just bought a lyman deerstaker.. My freind pete gave me the exact same advice.. There's lots of junk out there.. You can find good used.. But you get to look at alot of junk first
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline DQ

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:49:31 pm »
Beautiful fowler, Eric.  Great job.  Good luck with the turkeys!

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 02:13:37 pm »
Things to consider (some said earlier)

-Level of authenticity desired
-Whether you want simply "old time/fashion" or something of a particular time period and area
-The above two can help with the decision of flinter or percussion (or even Matchlock... whooeee  :o )
-What do you want to hunt with it?  Squirrels, deer, bear, turkeys, waterfowl....

There are a lot of good makers out there for custom, semi-custom, as well as some mass produced guns.

Isaac
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 11:20:01 pm »
Ditto Dixie Gun Works been there many times............have bought many supplies and parts from them. 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:05:46 am »
the guys at Dixie are good guys.they helped me with info on a gun I had.i thought I had a 1835 springfield musket.it turns out,i had a 1816 spingfield musket.it was marked 1835,but that is when it was sent back to the arsenal to be converted to caplock from flintlock.really good guys at Dixie.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 10:15:36 pm »
Check with Stonewall Outfitters Troy is the owner he is a good guy really helpful.

Offline wildman

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 10:39:55 pm »
I was on DGW sight last night good kit guns from around $350 for Lyman not real correct, but a primitive shooter for sure. I used a Pedersoli Ky long rifle flinter kit last year add and left out a few things to my liking and ended up with  a solid shooter decently period correct with around 30hrs in it for around $ 700

-Eddie Vedder-