Author Topic: Working on a coffee tree bow.  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Poggins

Working on a coffee tree bow.
« on: September 15, 2013, 10:32:41 pm »
I needHelp with a coffee tree stave.
I cut a coffee bean tree at the first of July and got four staves from it , I've worked osage mostly and haven't had any luck with a chittam wood bow I worked on before ( I have another one ready to tiller and may back it ).
I got one stave cut down to 64" ttt , one inch thick on the limbs by two inches wide a four inch handle
1 3/4" fades with the limbs thick enough to go longer if needed , I have a 25" draw length so I'm sure I have plenty of length . The sapwood is 3/8" thick and there is two pin knots four inches from one end with a gap of about half an inch between them .
With only four staves I thought it wise to ask for a little help with what design works with this wood ( probably should have asked before cutting the first one out ) , couldn't find much info on weather or not the sapwood was taken down or not.
I cut this one out and worked on two osage staves some , one with a hole in one limb and one will be a bendy handle , after the last two months I'm getting back in the groove slowly .

Offline briarjumper12

Re: Working on a coffee tree bow.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 10:39:40 pm »
I have no idea about that wood specifically, but them sure are pertty staves!

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 10:45:15 pm »
I have never worked that wood specifically, but I have heard people leave the sapwood on and I would say for a regular longbow 1.75-2". Unless u make the bow short I would go with 1.75 keeping it thick quite a ways. Heat treating is probably a good idea. Bendy handle I would do 1.25" to 1.5" and taper very slow keeping thickness for a while.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 11:02:46 pm »
Keep it on the wider side, closer to 2" at the fades with a slow taper to the tips 7/16-1/2". It is a lighter wood but will make a shooter for sure. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Poggins

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 11:37:34 pm »
Thanks Tracy , 7/16 at the tips will help get between the pin knots .
Knew I would get an answer on here , I'll post pics of my progress as I work on it , maybe this will help someone down the road also .

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 11:52:05 pm »
Those little things are hardly knots I wouldn't even worry about them At all my one and only walnut bow has those on it and i dropped the bow on the concrete and smooshed a few of them flat it didnt hurt it though still shoots fine id just treat them as if they didn't exist
I like osage

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 11:52:39 pm »
Twistedlimbs has made some coffeetree bows. You might try shootin him a pm. Keep us posted on how this one goes, I have a few coffeetrees that I have been thinkin bout cutting down.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 01:13:18 am »
I took one of the scrap peaces from the side and made one limb of a bow from it , it was very narrow , about an inch and a quarter narrowing down to quarter of an inch . I worked it down to where it was bending even , expecting it to blow I used a long string and with the single limb fastened solid I ran the string to pull at about the same as it would on a full bow . I pulled the limb until it gave , instead of blowing it crushed the belly wood and folded over , the back did break but only after I pulled it past the point of crushing the belly. The test showed that I may have to heat treat the belly , I've read somewhere that when heated the belly turns darker , almost purple .
If it's not raining after work tomorrow I'll work on the bow some more , remark my centerline and mark the bow out and try to get it to floor tiller .

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:19:22 am »
Keep the limbs a little wide, 1 3/4 to 2" and heat treat.  Keeping them wide and heat treating will prevent set, you can leave the sap wood on the one I made worked just fine with it on.  I found it easy wood to work with and it smelled good when heated.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 10:31:22 pm »
I worked on the stave today after work , with a rainstorm on its way and the Mosquitos I didn't get to bending yet.
I started at two inches at the fades and tapered down to half an inch at the tips , I'm still just over three quarters of an inch thick the full length of the limbs , still not starting to bend yet .
The pics aren't very good , I'll try to get better ones next time .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 02:45:20 pm »
We had a little grass fire yesterday so I didn't get to work on the stave much , I took the drawknife to the belly and got it down to 3/4" thick and it's starting to bend now .
I need to get a sanding block out and work the saw marks off the sides and narrow the tips a little more , I'm leaving the handle alone for now until I get it close on the tiller ( one of the guys at work is retiering and I may give it to him , if so it will be left handed and 45# at 27" ) . I will try to get more pics today or tomorrow , I did a little heat treating on the scrap peace and it does turn purple .

Offline Poggins

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 02:47:25 pm »
I haven't quit or broken the now yet ( it looks more like a bow now ) , I've got the handle and fades cut out and the bow is bending on the long string . I'm taking one sapwood ring off the back right now , it was pulling close to 45# at brace and I'm running out of heartwood ( down to about two rings ) and I want to keep some for when I heat treat .
I'll post some pics when I get a chance , it got dark on me last night .

Offline skarhand

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 03:11:16 pm »
Looks pretty cool, I'm excited to see how it turns out. On a side note, I have seen a work benche that looks just like yours on an episode of CSI. :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 03:25:44 pm »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:55 pm »
Bubby, before I even clicked on your link I knew exactly what bow it was going to be, one of my all time favorites.
45# at 27"