Author Topic: Hickory question?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline Scottski

Hickory question?
« on: September 12, 2013, 01:03:49 am »
Ok my young neighbor saw my second oak bow and started shooting it with me. He is hooked on shooting now and wants me to make him a bow. He works for a cabinet shop and brought me two 9 ft hickory boards home they are 2 in wide. So my question is, what would you do to one of these boards to make a bow?
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory question?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 01:24:56 am »
It all depends on the grain both on the back and along the sides. Check out George Tsoukalas' website. You can see it at the top of the "How To" thread.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:26:10 am »
Trap it and make a flatbow or mollegabet, though I suggest you get a few more bows under your belt before you go mollegabet. Someone will chime in with dimensions sooner than later; sorry I don't have any ready to paste for you  ::)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:56:07 am »
Do a pyramid style bow. Start at fade 2" wide and down to .5" tips 66ntn long.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:22:01 am »
How young is this friend !
Give us a draw length and weight you think you are looking for !
Start looking over the boards and study the grain run outs !
Hickory is tough stuff so you can get away with more issues than most woods !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:02:49 am »
Do a pyramid style bow. Start at fade 2" wide and down to .5" tips 66ntn long.

I second that. Those dimensions should yield a bow around 35# to 40# if you keep the thickness at 1/2" throughout the limb length. I've made a bunch to those dimensions out of red oak boards, and hickory tends to be a bit stiffer. If you want it a bit stronger still, then keep the width and thickness dimensions, but cut it down to 62" long.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 09:10:47 am »
Here's what I mean... Excuse an ex-architect for using dimensions, but its how I think, and I've been building enough pyramid bows here lately to know that it works. Here's my disclaimer though: Yeah, every wood is different, and you'll have some differences given grain orientation and how you work it into a bow, but if you end up with something like this, then you'll have around a 35-40 pounder with hickory. Oak is a little less. This example turned out to be 34# with a beautiful oak board. Your hickory will obviously be a tad heavier. Like I said earlier, if you want it heavier, keep the same dimensions, but cut the length to 62"

Offline Scottski

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 10:55:07 am »
He is 25 or 26 maybe. Looking for around 35 or 40 lbs. just something he can play around with. If he wants to hunt with it needs to be at least 35. Arkansas dropped the weight down this year. I have an old fg recurve he fell in love with and is ok shot at around 12 yards. This is his first time shooting bows. His draw is 25  recurve is 50 lbs at 28 he is sore and wants to shoot again this afternoon. I also gave him a tomahawk and he loves to throw it too. The boy is hooked lol!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 01:12:28 pm »
The pyramid design would be a easy and quick build to get him going !
He is shooting around 40 lbs now so lots of types are open to you to choose from
maybe do a parallel at 1.5"out to 10 " from tips and then taper in to tip for the second one !
Have fun
Passing it on !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 04:20:24 pm »
Here's what I mean... Excuse an ex-architect for using dimensions, but its how I think, and I've been building enough pyramid bows here lately to know that it works. Here's my disclaimer though: Yeah, every wood is different, and you'll have some differences given grain orientation and how you work it into a bow, but if you end up with something like this, then you'll have around a 35-40 pounder with hickory. Oak is a little less. This example turned out to be 34# with a beautiful oak board. Your hickory will obviously be a tad heavier. Like I said earlier, if you want it heavier, keep the same dimensions, but cut the length to 62"

Stanley, that is an awesome pyramid bow schematic, I totally am keeping this for reference, :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 04:49:55 pm »
Toomanyknots, here's another one that I created after I made a 60# bow out of a great piece of oak.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »
Awesome, thank you! (click, save ... :) ). You did a great job on these!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:56:49 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 04:55:28 pm »
Aeesome, thank you! (click, save ... :) ). You did a great job on these!

Thanks, but like I said, as an ex-architect, it's just how my brain works. I'm just glad that someone can use them!

Offline Scottski

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 06:23:06 pm »
Thanks a lot I will use this. Thank you again.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:48 pm »
Good plan. I do prefer a 66ntn so if ya go 5/8 you will end up close to 50-55 if 5/8 is your finished thickness. Assuming the piece of wood is the same as the log I made mine out of.