Author Topic: Cross bow  (Read 8931 times)

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
Cross bow
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:07:02 pm »
My most hated weapon is the cross bow. I cringe every time I hear the word. Unfortunately, I know a guy that wants one. He wants it to shoot decently fast(probably wont hunt with it) so my questions are how much weight should it pull at what draw length? How long should it be? What wood should I make it out of? ( I don't want to spend much as I am not getting anything out of the trade. I want to build something quality but don't want to use good staves or anything worth something. Maybe a board??) thanks
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Joec123able

Re: Cross bow
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:38 pm »
Forget it. You can't make wooden crossbow prods they can't hold up to being stuck at full draw and will take tons of set being held at full draw. A wooden cross bow prod wouldn't last long at all you're going to have to use steel as a crossbow prod
I like osage

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:30:52 pm »
Forget it. You can't make wooden crossbow prods they can't hold up to being stuck at full draw and will take tons of set being held at full draw. A wooden cross bow prod wouldn't last long at all you're going to have to use steel as a crossbow prod

I've seen a bunch of primitive cross bows with wooden prods posted on here?

Edit: Here's an awesome one with a wooden prod, made by Del the cat: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=28795.0

Here's another cool one with a wooden prod: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=37130.0
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:34:47 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 08:32:35 pm »
I've seen it and done it, though mine was terrible and broke because I couldn't tiller to save my life at the time. I can be of no help, but I can tell you it's possible.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:54:12 pm »

I've seen a bunch of primitive cross bows with wooden prods posted on here?

Edit: Here's an awesome one with a wooden prod, made by Del the cat: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=28795.0

Here's another cool one with a wooden prod: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=37130.0

Yea I've made a few wood crossbow prods my self they wear out to quick
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:57:16 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »
Del's crossbow is still going strong as far as I know. Maybe yours were just underbuilt or tillered poorly? I have personally built one out of maple backed Osage that pulls 70 pounds at 10" and has a 30" prod. It has shot tthousands of bolts and is still going strong.

Jon

Offline KellyG

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:33:43 pm »
I think Boo would be a good choice for such a thing, but really don't know.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:37:25 pm »
Del's crossbow is still going strong as far as I know. Maybe yours were just underbuilt or tillered poorly? I have personally built one out of maple backed Osage that pulls 70 pounds at 10" and has a 30" prod. It has shot tthousands of bolts and is still going strong.

Jon

You're probably right
I like osage

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 04:32:52 am »
Lets think about this for a second ( without me knowing anything ). I see folks with modern cross bows walking the woods with them cocked back at full draw for hours. Modern materials allow this. With a wooden bow, on a hunt, I would imagine that you wont do that or else the prod would break or take set. So Just cock it back when you see your pray approach. For a non hunting situation, I dont think it will remain cocked for longer than it takes to get the sites on target. So set wont be a problem there. Just use the bow differently. Simple. Right?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 05:34:27 am »

Jon

You're probably right
Yup, but it doesn't get a lot of use.
The problem with a wooden prod (and Xbows in general) is the short draw length. You end up needing a high poundage to get a decent fast bolt from it.
Of course the temptation is to go longer on the prod to get a longer draw and then you end up with something that looks silly and loses the advantage of a small compact weapon.
I'd suggest going as long as you feel looks sensible and use a deflex or deflex reflex design to maximise the length pf power stroke.
A backing or binding of some sort for safety is a good idea. The thought of a prod exploding at eye level isn't fun.
I keep meaning to experiment with a laminated prod, maybe Boo Yew, as it's a good way to use up off cuts... but like the rest of you guys... too many projects, too little time :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »
The best backing for a wooden cross bow I would think is gonna be sinew, and preferably reflexed when applied I would think. Sinew is resilient as heck and can be hot boxed back into reflex, etc. Speaking of that, has anyone ever read of the use of sinew on traditional cross bows? I read in some book I had out from the library, definitely can't remember which one, but I remember reading in this book that the cross bows used around the times of the hundred years war were actually backed with "tendon" as the book called it, (probably cattle tendon I guess). Which seems funny, but also makes perfect sense. Hide glue is strong stuff, probably strong enough to stick to metal. Can anybody validate this?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 05:46:49 pm »
i think i might give this a try, i had a piece of yew that just broke and is now to short for a bow but would make a good prod, ill sinew back it as well for safety

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 11:40:52 am »
One quote:

"It is likely that the crossbow used by the Normans in the conquest of England, had a stout bow of solid wood."

Source (and also some cool info on composite prods being used on cross bows):

http://books.google.com/books?id=wXVPAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA62&dq=tendon+crossbow&hl=en&sa=X&ei=1x0zUorPJu_I4APc9oBw&ved=0CDMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=tendon%20crossbow&f=false

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 01:11:46 pm »
I personally wouldn't go with a wood prod. Even if its sinew backed, theres a ton of compression force on the belly side, not to say it cant be done, as we have seen. I built a crossbow a while back with a steel prod, 300# @ 12 ".  I would recomend doing the same. Try to get leaf springs from an oldr vehicle.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 01:15:01 am »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹