Author Topic: Sinew Job with hide glue, slight lifting on edge...(help)  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Sinew Job with hide glue, slight lifting on edge...(help)
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:49:13 pm »
After curing for about 5 days, the sinew job I did with the home made hide glue/knox gelatin is looking very good. The bond of the hide glue is exceptionally good. Except for this one 3 inch strip along one edge where it has lifted very slightly. I've got leftover hide glue, super glue and tbIII. I was thinking I could just shoot some glue in there, wrap it and be good. Just wondering if I can do that and which glue would be best. I'm thinking the TBIII but wanted a more experienced opinion. Thanks in advance guys.

Here's a pic of it, best I could get it to come out...

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Sinew Job with hide glue, slight lifting on edge...(help)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:02:08 pm »
Howdy,  Personally I would run in some hot hide glue and then pack in a couple of strands of sinew.  Wrap it down and it should blend with the rest.   
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:03:11 pm »
i had the same thing happen with my osage shortie, wet the sinew to get it soft then throw some warm hide glue on it and wrap it with parchment paper and string.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:03:54 pm »
Dip your finger in water and smooth/stick it back down.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:05:52 pm »
Thanks, guys. I brushed the limbs with a sizing coat of hide glue before applying the sinew. I guess there was just a bit of a dry spot there or something. I think I'll do a combo of what you guys are telling me just to be on the safe side. I'd really hate to have to redo the whole thing if it gets worse. lol

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 01:30:58 pm »
Side note: This bow will be getting a thin coat of tbIII over the sinew once it has been cured and tillered(for snake skins to come). Does that at all affect my method of repair?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 01:45:34 pm »
That's a solid plan. That intial coat of TBIII will protect the sinew/glue from the coming damp skins.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 03:21:35 pm »
I think I'd re-hydrate that area(warm damp towel)add a bit more glue and wrap it with cloth strip until glue dries.  You could also sand that area down and add more sinew and glue.
 I've used TBIII as a "vapor barrier" like Pearlie suggested and it will save you drying time by eliminating any added moisture to the sinew/hide glue that is already on the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 05:10:25 pm »
Sled.....All the fixes mentioned willl work good.Wrapping it to be sure.It'll be good as gold.Now....Have you thought why this happened?I have two main reasons why and possibly a third and a fourth.
One--After applying your sinew it is best to put the bow into an area that is cool with higher humidity.Say 70 F or less at 50% humidity for at least the first day.Say at floor level somewhere.Give the glue a chance to gell real good and set the sinew in place.Then you can put it in an area that is warmer with less humidity to cure.Most people want the sinew to cure as fast as it can,but you have to let the hide glue gell good first.
Two--I am a believer of using just leg tendon sinew.Tore apart it ends up very white,soft, and like angel hair.Pre soaked in water before being swirled in the hide glue it is almost like snot and very fluid.I've used back strap sinew before with success too but sometimes that stuff will stay a bit harder or not as soft as what leg tendon will get and not adhere as well to a surface it is glued to.In other words you can't flatten it out real well on the surface of the bow and increase your surface area.
Three--You could of gotten some type of contaminant like oil from your hands on that area before applying sinew.
Four--You maybe did'nt size it well enough there.
Just my 2 or 3 cents worth.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 05:22:59 pm »
I should mention that if that's a hedge bow that wood can have an oil problem in it's wood.Degreasing it is the solution for that.I hav'nt run into that problem personally but have seen that problem come up.I'm usually sinewing white woods.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 05:50:26 pm »
Used leg tendon and it sat in my basement for two days after applying sinew. Cool and around 50% humidity. I degreased the back with acetone. I think that spot just didn't get enough sizing or contaminated while sinewing. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 06:51:41 pm »
You're the man Sled.You got it covered.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 07:07:25 pm »
Lol, I had a good idea of where it went wrong. Just wanted some expertise before I effected any repairs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 07:27:11 pm »
Yep I see what you mean and have posted an anxious thought out concern before too.Just looking for reassurance is all..I had to list some causes for it to see where you were at too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 10:57:41 pm »
Yea, for sure. I appreciate all the input. I'm definitely not wanting to have to process and apply a whole new course of sinew. No way! lol