Author Topic: New Longbow (pic heavy)  (Read 5773 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: New Longbow (pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 12:28:33 am »
I see what your saying on the heat bending now.  Yeah that would be the time to do it and I would guess that most folks would do just that.   That stave would have been pretty easy to straighten out if he would of so desired.   But he took the challenge and did it the hard way.  I can respect that. ;D. As far as the other point goes, I believe that you are overthinking it a bit.  I don't think that I can come up with the words to explain it either, but I'll try.  First thing you have to do with a stave like this is banish any visual symmetry from your mind.  If you don't start with symmetry, at no point of the draw should it appear symmetrical.  The goal is equal proportions of bend throughout the limb and a balance between the limbs.  If you were to make a mark every two inches down both limbs, set it up on the tree unbraced and make corresponding marks on the wall behind each point as a starting reference.  Now brace it, put it back in the same place, make new reference marks on the wall for brace.  Do the same thing every few inches of draw to full draw.  Now take down the bow and measure the marks throughout the draw and compare the corresponding marks on each limb for distance traveled. The tips should have moved the same distance. Midlimb of each limb should have moved the same distance as the other at the same point of draw and so on and so forth.  I'm not saying to actually do this, just try and visualize each corresponding section of the limb bending the same distance as the same section on the other limb.  Regardless of how asymmetrical the bend appears, if it is only doing the portion of bending that its supposed to be doing, it is under no more strain than its supposed to be.  I think that I just confused myself actually.  Short and sweet summation, even though it looks like a hinge, it is not.  It is only bending as much as its supposed to.   Man, I got a headache now!  Josh

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 12:38:10 am »
Haha thanks Gun Doc for clearing it up, I understand now lol. I guess i'm just OCD about that kind of thing, but if it shoots good who cares what it looks like haha  :) Yeah he did a good job on the tillering, It really comes down to knowing what to look for.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2013, 12:43:52 am »
Haha thanks Gun Doc for clearing it up, I understand now lol. I guess i'm just OCD about that kind of thing, but if it shoots good who cares what it looks like haha  :) Yeah he did a good job on the tillering, It really comes down to knowing what to look for.

I know what ya mean I think I have OCD too lol  >:D but then again any wood bow from a stave isn't going to be perfectly symmetrical
I like osage

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2013, 12:47:32 am »
Thanks and gun doc, I actually put markers on the wall just to make sure they were bending evenly :D :D :D great minds think alike:) haha. Okie, I live by North okc. Smack dab in the middle. If u live in the pan handle or by Mcallister I'm going mule deer, pronghorn, and white tail hunting this year. Maybe we could meet and talk bowyer talk :)
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2013, 01:02:40 am »

I know what ya mean I think I have OCD too lol  >:D but then again any wood bow from a stave isn't going to be perfectly symmetrical

You young fellas are looking at it from the wrong perspective.  Whether you call it OCD or fiberglass mentality or whatever, its not something I suffer.  I'll tell you why, you take a straight and clean stave and Jack up the tiller, everybody can see that you flubbed it.  Now you get one of my beauties out, it twists, it turns, rollercoasters, lumps, bumps and knots, Hell it's got more character than the Lord of the rings casting call.  Throw a best guess tiller on that bad boy and post it up.  People look at it, scratch there head a little and decide, yeah, I'm just gonna give him the benefit of the doubt " Looks good!"  Yes sir,  character is my friend!  >:D. Lol!  Josh

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2013, 01:08:26 am »
I'm not looking at anything from the wrong perspective I was joking I know and agree with what you're saying
I like osage

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2013, 01:33:55 am »
I don't think being young has anything to do with it. I personally don't use wood that has much significant profile character, and that's my choice. There's a large wood selection and just because you like character bows with challenging profiles doesn't make anybody superior. I'll appreciate a character bow just as much as any other bow posted on here because we all have the same goal. You can call it "fiberglass mentality" or being a "wuss" but it's my personal preference.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2013, 01:46:07 am »
I was bagging on my own skills or lack thereof.  It was a joke.  The point was its harder to get away with mistakes if you start with a good clean stave and requires a spot on tiller to look good.  Character staves play so many tricks on the eye that you can get away with more mistakes.  Therefore I use character to hide my lack of skills.  I don't think I can say it any better.   Josh
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:27:15 am by Gun Doc »

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2013, 01:49:13 am »
Impressive i think.  And really pics dont tell the whole story  O:) and all of you bowyers know that . Time will tell . But if it feels right its right . Good job dude ... props .
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2013, 03:14:40 am »
I didn't mean to be harsh in my tiller critique, and as I said, that's a heck fo a tough stave to tiller. In retrospect,the word hinge might have been used too soon. And, as its been said its very difficult to evaluate tiller on stave within uneven limb profile.

I stick to my original claim (as an armchair tiller critic  ;)) though that the lower limb should be bending more, especially mid limb. In looking at the top limb it has mid limb reflex. And yet you've got it bending nicely (it could even bend a bit more near the handle).  The bottom limb has some mild relfex in the outter 1/3 of the limb, but I still feel like it should be coming around more mid limb.  Just my 2c.  I don't recommend changing the tiller at this point. And I think you should feel good about your effort.

Another way to evaluate your tiller  is to find out how much set your bow has taken.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 09:19:27 am »
Rossfactor, I THINK I told u guys :/ that it took a half inch set after shot quite a few times. It goes to .25 inch set after its sat for 15 minutes.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 09:20:51 am »
I didn't think you were harsh at all Gabe.  I think there is some twist coming out of that fade as well as deflex.  The first money shot looks like its bending a bit much, but the money shot from the other side looks pretty good.  I'm just guessing on that of course.  Josh

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 11:14:01 am »
nice bow i would straighten that bow with some heat and then tiller. if you wan't to make up draw weight try cutting a bit off the top or heat treating the belly? F/D looks good. nice bow
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »
Can't argue with 1/2 inches of set at 30" draw on a 64" long bow.

gr
Humboldt County CA.

Offline okie64

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 01:29:48 pm »
You're a few hours west of me WB. I live right on the ok-arkansas state line. Did you get drawn out to hunt the ammo plant in Mcalester? I got drawn out 3 years in a row but missed it this year.