Author Topic: Lesson learned  (Read 6980 times)

Offline DLH

Lesson learned
« on: September 08, 2013, 11:26:14 am »
Got around to removing some twist yesterday and I thought everything had went well. I had been given advice to use a caul and it worked great. I forgot one crucial detail didn't seal the back before I started. The stupid part is that I have read multiple times where everyone recommends to seal the back before any corrections. Guess some things are learned the hard way by making the mistake yourself. I'm just going to load the crack with super glue and seal the back before anymore corrections.

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 11:35:58 am »
What do you mean by seal the back? I've never heard of doing this before and have never had a problem?

Jon

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 11:43:26 am »
What do you mean by seal the back? I've never heard of doing this before and have never had a problem?

Jon

Probably like how you seal the ends on a stave when you cut it
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 11:49:58 am »
If your stave was dry & cured(osage) bein sealed wouldnt matter IMO.. I scrape all of off usually by this point in my build.... Most likely what you have here is caused by forcing it without enuff heat.. could have been a crack already there that just showed itself under pressure also...
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:21:34 pm »
.....or it could have had a tad too much moisture in it too

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:58:19 pm »
I always seal a newly exposed back no matter how well seasoned it is and especially if I am going to make coorrections with heat.  I use spray shellac because vI can easily remove it if necessary or just add a finish over it.
 Fill the crack with super glue like you said. Scrape the excess off the surface after it is cured out and seal the back.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 02:04:57 pm »
I always seal a newly exposed back no matter how well seasoned it is and especially if I am going to make coorrections with heat.  I use spray shellac because vI can easily remove it if necessary or just add a finish over it.
 Fill the crack with super glue like you said. Scrape the excess off the surface after it is cured out and seal the back.

What is the point though Pat? If the stave is well cured, what does sealing the back do? Just curious.

Jon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 03:37:26 pm »
Jon, I've had well cured staves(some 10 years in my shop) check when I exposed a new back. Even a well cured stave exchanges atmospheric moisture as the R/H changes. Apparently that is enough moisture to cause a check as it dries.
 It is so easy to spray a quick coating of shellac on a bow back and just as easy to wipe it off with alcohol and a rag if I want to that it is not worth the risk on having a bow stave check. I keep a spray can of Birdeye Shellac on my work bench at all times just for this. If I want to shorten a stave I spray shellav on that newly exposed end too. Do I need to? Who knows...but I do anyway because it has saved a few staves or extra work chasing another ring over the years.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 03:40:24 pm »
Its another level of protection and prolly not a bad idea to boot ;)... Only reason i scrape mine off is i just seal with cheap school glue and it makes a gummy mess when it gets hot, lol... I am gonna get some of that Pat... I dint know it could be removed that easily ;D
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 04:16:25 pm »
If you are buying a stave, Pat's can of shellac on the bench is cheap insurance.  For those uf us that are a 12 hr drive from osage, it's money well spent. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 04:50:13 pm »
I've never sealed a back and never had one crack like that and it's a thousand degrees down here all year. I concur with Blackhawk, I think it still had moisture in it. Anyway, it still won't hurt anything.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 05:07:50 pm »
I always have my wood's MC down low to begin with so I don't seal my backs either. Bet that check was already there and the heat shrunk the wood around it causing it to open up.............Art B

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 05:14:22 pm »
And from the looks of the check, it isn't headed anywhere I'd worry about.  Pretty much right down the middle of the limb.  Appears also, that you carefully followed the grain of the wood.  Good for you! To me it would rate up there some where between "who cares" and "so what". 

Sic 'em Daniel, show that stave who's boss!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DLH

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 01:31:38 am »
It may have been moisture but I'm not sure I don't have enough experience yet. This is black locust that was destined to be fence posts and set in a barn for years but that's a guess I had them atleast a year before getting to this point. I also have had it inside reduced to this point for atleast two months now. Am I looking for a color change for corrections or more too hot to the touch? I had it start to change color and was afraid of getting too hot so I tried the clamps at that point.

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 03:47:12 am »
That stave checked because it had to much moisture in it.
All this talk of staves being ten/twenty/thirty years old don't mean anything if the combination of temperature and relative humidity where the wood is stored aren't hot enough/low enough then the wood will never get to a low enough m.c. to become a bow!