Author Topic: Riser feels weird  (Read 1071 times)

Offline robA

Riser feels weird
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:49:59 pm »
hey everyone,
I have a hickory board bow that I am trying to get in around 50# at 27"
It is very close but now I swear I feel the riser doing something weird in my hand.
When I do a practice draw and slowly bring the string back in, it feels like the riser is wobbling or bulging out or something.
Is it possible for this thing to pop off? And if so can I salvage this thing or do I have more scrap wood to add to the growing pile of it?  :-[
Thank you all in advance.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Riser feels weird
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 01:06:19 pm »
Rob, a pic would help.. If you glued on a handle and are bendin to much in your fade area it will most likely pop off.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline robA

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 01:36:06 pm »
Thanks Koan.
Here is a pic. I know my glue line is horrible but I am sanding it.
If it is bending to much in the fades, can I save this and if so, how?
Thank you again.

Offline robA

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 01:45:02 pm »
okay,
So this riser is definitely going to pop off. I just shot about  dozen arrows off of it and I can see the separation between the riser and bow growing.
What can I do to save this bow?
Please help!

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 02:08:17 pm »
You can re-tiller so that it doesnt bend as much in the fades. If it is long enuff you can pike it abit to get your poundage back up.. You definately need to remove and re-glue the handle. I have used multiple thin layers stacked for handles instead of one solid pc handle.. sometimes this method is more forgiving of flex in that area... but its not a sure thing IMO.. looks like ya got a purty good tiller goin from what i can see at brace height... Im sure some other folks will have some other good ideas for ya to..... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 02:12:46 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what kind of glue did you use?
Don

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 03:37:55 pm »
It aint broke yet so lets see !
The surest way is probably reduce the draw weight !
Otherwise take the riser of and build a new one, use thin strips of wood less than an 1/8 in thick to build it back up and start with the first strip being longer than the original riser !
One other trick is to use a glue soaked cordage to wrap the riser section , wrap it tight and as it dries it will shrink and bind !

I hope it works out for you!!
From now on make sure you get a main section of riser that is thicker and fades more gently, before you add more wood to it that will eliminate the problem to start with !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !