Author Topic: Bulbous Nocks  (Read 6471 times)

Offline meanewood

Bulbous Nocks
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:30:13 pm »
Who has any insight or thoughts on the bulbous nocks seen on arrows in various illustrations?
I wonder if they were wider than the shaft at the end or was the shaft grooved just below the nock to give a grip for the fingers!
Maybe the artist gives the impression that it is bigger unintentionally, he may be just trying to highlight the groove.
What do you guys think?

Offline adb

Re: Bulbous Nocks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 02:01:04 pm »
I think many medieval illustrations are loaded with artistic misinterpretation. Arrows shooting off the wrong side of the fist, unevenly tillered bows, one limb with a reflexed tip the other not. I don't think they're accuracy is sufficient to adopt certainty. Certainly none of the arrows recovered from the Mary Rose had anything even close to a bulbous nock. The only bulbous nocks I've seen are on Native American arrows, as they used a pinch type grip for release.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 02:17:16 pm »
Hi adb
Yes, some of those illustrations can be hard to read. On one hand, the detail is good but some of the things shown seem strange!
I'm still working on photos of the Beech bow / arrow set, maybe this weekend.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 05:37:09 pm »
I thought some Asian composite bow arrows had rather large nocks(that were a little bulb shaped)... and that were able to withstand the shock of the bow.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 07:57:50 pm »
Hi adb
Yes, some of those illustrations can be hard to read. On one hand, the detail is good but some of the things shown seem strange!
I'm still working on photos of the Beech bow / arrow set, maybe this weekend.

I just don't think the illustrators where archers, or knew much about archery gear.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 08:32:53 pm »
I think the illustrators were born in an age that was as immersed in archery as we are as familiar with as a driving a car. 
For instance, can we really be sure the medieval archer didn't shoot "off the wrong side"?  It seems strange that recurved limbs often shown on one limb, often the bottom? 
Certainly the arrows on the Mary Rose were Tudor and not medieval, used for naval warefare and livered and not personal as in those illustrated in the Luttrell Psalter.  But does this rule out bulbous nocks as genuine medieval designs and stylistic license?  I don't believe so.
The depicyion of the Wilton Diptych arrow looks very real and tests with it have shown it to provide an excellent loose.  I'm inclined to be very open minded.
warbowwales.com/wilton-arrow-replica/4563532669

Offline meanewood

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 08:57:07 pm »
Yes, there seems to be a few illustrations that definitely show a bulbous nock but I wondered if it might be because the artists are trying to show the slot (nock), or they are trying to show a groove. If they did use bulbous nocks, it could only mean they were trying to strengthen the nock in soft shafts like poplar!
Maybe they did this prior to developing a horn slot many years later?
Speaking of horn slots, can anyone confirm the presence of hardwood shafts amongst the Mary Rose finds and if so, were they slotted to take horn as well?
I don't use reinforcement in my beech and oak shafts because they seem to be easily able to withstand a large force!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 04:15:52 am by meanewood »

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 09:41:24 pm »
The vast majority of shafts were aspen or poplar with birch being the next common followed by alder.  Of the 600, or so, sampled only 1 was ash.  All were slotted and very few had an effective draw length of over 30".  Far more were 28" that 32" but mainly they were of a 30" draw length.  The Westminster Abbey arrow is medieval and this had a horn sliver.  The reference to cross-nocking, perhaps meaning with a horn sliver, is medieval.  I don't think it is likely to be a Tudor development.
Get a copy of Weapons of Warre and it will tell you all you need to know.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 09:45:17 pm by Yeomanbowman »

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 10:50:10 pm »
Agreed. Both books 'Weapons of Warre' are excellent reference texts, giving vast detail on all the Mary Rose artifacts, including every detail of the archery items.

Offline WillS

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 06:07:58 am »
In the Mark Stretton/Steve Stratton DVD "Fletching The Medieval Arrow" which is part 3 of the longbow series dvds, Mick Mann shows an excellent replica of an arrow with bulbous nock, and gives a very detailed explanation and close up of how they're made.  Worth checking out.

Offline imar

• DWS; Dutch Warbow Society
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 04:19:31 am »
N.A.P.
(nieuwe Amsterdamse pijl/ new Amsterdam arrow)

The Dutch Warbow Society included the NAP in their flight shooting;
this is an arrow based on archeological findings, descriptions and paintings from the Netherlands.
It has a bulbous nock and is only 28 inch long.
It has a handforced point with a special form, like the ones that are recently found in Amsterdam during the building of the new subway.
Because it is so short, the technique of shooting in the bow does not work here.

On the main land there are many archeological findings of bows and arrows, while in the U.K. there is the Mary Rose, and furthermore, euhrmmm, ...... nothing...
Of course the Mary Rose is a huge finding but only gives information of warbows and arrows at that particulair time.

Imar
DWS; Dutch Warbow Society

Offline Salvador 06

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 03:47:02 am »
Most of the painting that depict bulbous nocks are not representative of English archery, they're usually representative of whichever archery the artist was familiar in his country.  For example the many paintings of St. Sebastian, which you see in just about every European museum, depict the archery of the country in which it was painted.  The period of most of those paintings coincides with the domination of he eastern Mediterranean by the Ottoman Turks.  The Ottomans did have such arrows, I've seen them in Museums throughout central Europe.   

My guess, the artist saw such arrows and placed them in his paintings.  Those bows were also shot on the same side as the bow instead of across. 
Proudly subscribed to this magazine since 1994

Offline WillS

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 06:15:29 am »
On the main land there are many archeological findings of bows and arrows, while in the U.K. there is the Mary Rose, and furthermore, euhrmmm, ...... nothing...
Of course the Mary Rose is a huge finding but only gives information of warbows and arrows at that particulair time.

Not strictly true.  Don't forget the amazing find at Westminster Abbey.  This arrow is far more complete than any found on the Mary Rose, it has a fully complete type 16 head and dates from a much earlier time than the sinking of the Mary Rose.  It doesn't have a bulbous nock, but a 3/8" horn reinforced self nock.  It's also a bit shorter than the MR arrows, either a sign that the MR arrows are a variation from the norm, or that the arrow was repaired numerous times and stopped being a war arrow to become a personal target arrow.  The type 16 head certainly suggests it was still used for human enemies as compared to hunting however.

There are also the amazing finds at Portchester Castle, again dating back to the time of the Mary Rose but the arrow heads found there are complete, and are in fact what the EWBS Tudor Bodkins are based on.

Quote from: Salvador 06
Most of the painting that depict bulbous nocks are not representative of English archery, they're usually representative of whichever archery the artist was familiar in his country.  For example the many paintings of St. Sebastian, which you see in just about every European museum, depict the archery of the country in which it was painted.  The period of most of those paintings coincides with the domination of he eastern Mediterranean by the Ottoman Turks.  The Ottomans did have such arrows, I've seen them in Museums throughout central Europe.   

My guess, the artist saw such arrows and placed them in his paintings.  Those bows were also shot on the same side as the bow instead of across.

I still can't get myself to believe this theory when people mention in.  The artists who drew images of archers during the 100 years war would not have just been isolated scholars and illustrators hunched over candle light.  It was a time where every man of a certain age was required to shoot a bow.  Archery in those times was law, entertainment, lifestyle and leisure.  It's highly unlikely that any man who lived around archers would have got things like that wrong.  Especially so many of them.  If one painting was found with stylized nocks, or the arrows on the wrong side then perhaps it could be assumed to be a mistake on the part of the artist, but with so many depicting this, in so many styles from so many years spread throughout the period, it's a hell of an assumption that they were ALL just making it up based on memory of something that was used in a different part of the world. 

It's very hard of course to accurately state how these paintings came to be, but to begin with I think there are two basic possibilities. 

1) The artist himself was present at a battle.  This is slightly unlikely due to the risk of death or capture etc, but you never know.  If the artist was present, there wouldn't be mistakes like getting the arrows wrong or the shooting style wrong.  It would have been right in front of him, and why go to the extra effort of creating a nock that is so different to that which is being used in the battle?

2) The artist draws from people telling him what they saw.  This is far more likely and even this doesn't have room for specific stylization of a weapon.  Either the person recounting the battle would scribble bad drawings for the artist to use, or describe in full detail what they saw.  To add a bulbous nock to a straight arrow is a big deal - it's far easier to draw a straight arrow, and that's what anybody who was present would have drawn, and certainly somebody recounting wouldn't have added a bulbous nock in the description for no reason.

This leads me personally to believe that bulbous nocks WERE used, and were definitely present.  I can't see any plausible way for an artist commissioned to replicate as closely as possible the images of battle to make up and add such a specific, geographically-limited feature such as a bulbous nock on a tiny drawing of an arrow unless he was absolutely certain they would have been there.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 04:58:47 pm »
Hi WillS
You make some good points there. If bulbous nocks were common, what purpose do you think they served?
As you say, they would have been much more effort to make, so why have them!
Were they added to give reinforcement or as an aid to stop the arrow slipping through the fingers?

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 07:45:23 pm »
My guess (which is all it can be!) is that they were purely for reinforcement.  I'd imagine the shafts were roughed out to 1/2", then the nock area left while the rest was either bobtailed or reduced down to around 3/8".  The remaining 1/2" section would then be rounded, leaving a good solid chunk to take the full force of the string.

They probably didn't last very long before somebody got sick of the cumbersome nocks and tried adding something like hardwood, leather or of course horn as reinforcement instead.