Author Topic: Do u like character bows  (Read 20796 times)

Offline Traxx

Re: Are u hard core?????
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 03:22:38 pm »
Guess it all depends on ones perspective.

When i see a squirelly bow,i think to myself,Couldnt you find any better wood than that.LOL

Actually,
If you think about it,It seems you didnt see many "Character" bows,untill archery and bowyery became a recreational past time.Before that,they seemed to seek out the cleanest  wood,they could find.

Especially concerning woods like Osage, Vine Maple and Juniper.It seems to be more of a challenge to find clean wood,to make a bow out of.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 03:24:48 pm »
We have to blame Chet Stevenson for the character bow(and arrows) craze. Chet was around long ago.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 03:34:37 pm »
I just finished a hickory self bow backed with snake skin and has cow bone tip over lays . And this bow has 13 knots on the back . No backing ( snake skins is for looks only ) its 48# @ 26 " so far its my favorite bow . I have 2 yew staves coming tomorrow . One is " fiberglass striaght " and the other is very much so a charecter stave .... i like building both kinds of staves the same . Char staves are fun . And. Premium staves co.e out very well . Both are awsome in my mind . Vine maple is usually wiggly and knoty . Im getting one of those tomorrow as well . Hejehe yay !!!!!
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 07:06:32 pm »
So what I read by your thread is that you are one of a few who is a hard core bow maker.If you want some really snaky bows posted do it.With a build along.Noone stopping ya.It's a wuss who stands there and hollers for something he is'nt able to show.They've been posted before by lots of bowyers on here and hope you can too.I've made em myself.To draw a line as to what is hard to make and what is'nt all depends on what your trying to get out of the stave you are working.If all it is is looks that's very superficial as is your worded thread.It's got nothing to do with hard core.It's got to do with reading the wood your working with and realizing it's potential.When you get to that point in your bow making you'll have a different view of bow making.I agree with you that sometimes these primitive bows are in the FG mode way of looking and do perform quite well, but they are still all natural materials which sets them far and away from FG bows.Lately snakey bows hav'nt been posted.If that's what you want to see.So do I.So post em and not from just osage either.
What do you ask of your bow and for what purpose?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 07:15:26 pm »
Apparently you hav'nt gone to too many bow making gatherings.The snaky staves go for a premium dollar price over straighter staves and are not given away.
BowEd
Ed

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 08:53:59 pm »
I've been hooked up with a couple guys around me for staves. I had never heard of primitive archer and can't believe I haven't found it until my friend told me. I am sorry if my words offended any of u. I didn't mean for people to take everything so literally I just wanted to see what people think of it. For lack of better words and thought it would add some fun I put wuss but I know people that do both character and non character. Heck, I do it too! I was trying to just make a conversation in the forum to tell people my thoughts and have people tease each other. I meant wuss in a joking fashion and just wanted to tease people. If u make a bow good, then u have skill. I just wanted people to see they can try stuff and I wanted to see what people thought of themselves.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:10 pm »
I have done a few w some character and that is enough. I am more into something somewhat straight. A little character is nice though.
Greg

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 10:05:12 pm »
I make bows.  That's all.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 10:06:20 pm »
Soooo......where's the pics of these character bows?   Actually, I'd be happy to see any of your bows, character or no.  Josh

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:31 pm »
No apology needed and welcome to the PA site.A better response would be pictures of hilacious character bows made by you.Like your enthusiasm though.Practically everything that's made into a primitive bow has been done at some time or another.Type in a search for a paticular type of bow and see.Bows of the month in the past is a good search too.There are all kinds of choices out there.We show who we are by the bows we post and meeting at bow making gatherings not by what we think we are.Bow making can be a humbling experience especially in the beginning no matter who we think we are.There are some very skilled bowyers on here and patient with beginners.A lot of people unsure of themselves too.It's a learning site.Hang around and see.
BowEd
Ed

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 11:26:12 pm »
You got it. The only pics I have on my computer of bows are my first few osage bows. They have a bit of character. I think you all will laugh when u see the growth rings. They are ATLEAST 1/2" wide. Yes, it is osage :D
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2013, 08:33:36 am »
Im a hardcorewuz, I like em' all, straight and character ridden. Couldn't begin to tell you how many extreme character staves I've started and how many hours I've spent trying to get a bow out of them only to have many of them break or have to give up on em' because of some hidden flaw. Still fun but I'm starting to get more selective about which staves I'm willing to pump time into. I've got a huge stack of failed attempts due to bad judgement and over estimating my abilities to get a silk purse out of a sows ear. ;) ;D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 08:50:54 am »
Like them either way,made plenty of snaky/holey/cracked/short/long and anything in between,just depends on my mood, use to if they wasn't something that no one thought you could make a bow from I didn't want it but now clean and straight as I can get. Got lots of character staves in the rafters waiting when I get in that mood again. :) So I guess I wasn't a wuss but am now. ;)  :) By the way welcome to PA. Lets see some of your work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 09:28:37 am »
You got it. The only pics I have on my computer of bows are my first few osage bows. They have a bit of character. I think you all will laugh when u see the growth rings. They are ATLEAST 1/2" wide. Yes, it is osage :D

Im betting those first few bows you have pics of are your only bows. Be yourself and be honest WB99, thats my best advice. Welcome to PA.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 09:33:18 am »
Sniff sniff.  Is that a squirrel I'm smelling?  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left