Author Topic: Do u like character bows  (Read 20798 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: Are u hard core?????
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 01:15:00 pm »
I reckon I'm a wus!  Pin knots scare me!  Josh

Offline dwardo

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 01:19:10 pm »
"Character" is nice to have but if you are having to beat every inch of the thing into shape I think its just too much stress on the wood for the bow to have a long life.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 01:19:47 pm »
Can't say that I can remember ever getting board from working a stave !
Always something different about each one , or a new little something to try !
Try taking a strait as a pipe stave ( if there is such a thing ) and bend it into a snake-y of a design as you want  , then try to make a perfectly strait bow from a snake-y piece and  when you have done both come back and tell us what your thoughts are !
OK I am bored with this topic so on to the next piece  !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 01:20:21 pm »
So.... You like your staves to look like this?

Steve Bennett

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:24:04 pm »
That kind of stave is the only thing that keeps me from falling asleep in my shop Steve.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 01:34:17 pm »
I work with staves that 'feel' like they have a good bow inside them. I think that's way more important than whether a stave is straight and knot free or twisty and crazy. If it feels right, I go for it. But, I may be a hippy.  ;)

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Will H

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 01:40:45 pm »
I've been known to make a snakey bow or two...  ::)  :D
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 01:46:02 pm »
in my opinion character can either come from nature, which is the character that you are referring to, but it can also come from the bowyer. One of my favorite bows to look at is Pearlies "two of two" bow.http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,37380.0.html

I love this bow, it has a ton of character: curves, tips, skins, etc. all of which were imparted by the bowyer. it looks like this bow came from a pretty "boring" stave, but is now a far cry from boring.

I do like the look of a natural character bow, i like making them, i actually think they are easier to make since there is usually little to no correction needed if you are leaving them as is, and i am not yet familiar with the techniques that are required to impart my own character such as extreme curves and fancy tips.

Oh and even though i have a lot of nice osage, HHB, and hickory staves i still build some board bows now and then, that still doesn't make me a wus...only fiberglass does that!
45# at 27"

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 01:49:55 pm »
i like the kind of wood that makes a bow......... everything else is for wussys

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 01:51:49 pm »
I like both a lot....just depends on what mood I'm in and what kind of bow I wanna make at the time  8)

Same goes for me. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 01:55:26 pm »
Cut a tree down and make as many bows from it as you can.  I don't think we ought to be picky about what we get out of a tree.  For someone new at it like me I appreciate a clean stave but I'll attempt some pretty ugly ones too.  They don't always turn out real well but it's part of learning. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 02:50:03 pm »
Turtle, I have a stave that looks remarkably like that one.  ;D  It will be a real challenge but one I will gladly attack. Whether I get a bow out of it is another subject all together, but I will get educated just tryng. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 02:54:32 pm »
If I'm making one for other people, I like clean staves.  I don't like sending a bow that is questionable for durability.  For me, I enjoy the character when I can take my time making the bow.
1’—>1’

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 03:01:36 pm »
So.... You like your staves to look like this?

Exactly like that! I send people straight bows but that's because it's easier for me and not as questionable for them.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 03:06:15 pm »
Ok bandit, you got my interest. Post some pics of these nastys your talking about. I gotta see some!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.