Author Topic: Too much twist?  (Read 3694 times)

Offline steve b.

Too much twist?
« on: September 02, 2013, 11:26:28 pm »
I had this snakey oak stave that I wanted to make work cuz of the challenge.  It doesn't have a flat or straight spot on it no matter how you look at it.  I thought it would be cool to try to make a bow from it.

The handle and fades are deflexed and one limb reflexes back nicely.   The other didn't reflex and also had a twist.

I figured, what the heck, I'll attempt some reflex and maybe untwist it.  At the last minute I decided to curve the tips too.

I actually like how it came out but I didn't untwist it and so it may not work.  I'm gonna go ahead and see if I can get a string on it.

What think?

Offline steve b.

Re: Too much twist?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 11:28:19 pm »

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:35:25 pm »
Oh yeah!  You got this!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:42:24 pm »
I think you have this one.  You should do a single side notch on the twisted tip.  8)

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:55:33 pm »
You will HAVE to do side nocks or straighten those limb tips. If not, the bow will twist itself into a pretzel at draw and break. That my be to much twist for side nocks even. The bow though is awesome.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 12:12:26 am »
I always get my tips untwisted to match the grip.  It isn't always  necessary but twist is easy to remove and makes the bow look better when its done.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 01:02:01 am »
It only becomes necessary when you recurve the tips, then they become levers trying to twist your bow apart. I have made many propeller bows with no problems at all....

Offline steve b.

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:09 am »
  All great points.  So I would have been better off just flipping the tips or more reflex.  The problem I see with removing the twist is the twist starts right at the handle.  The whole limb is leaning over.  So I didn't want to just untwist the last 8 inches or so.  Not sure.  Thanks for the feedback!

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 01:48:47 am »
You can untwist it just at the tips and tiller it so that it doesnt twist as you draw it further back.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 06:12:55 am »
If you can get a shooter then u da man :).

Online Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 08:02:11 am »
IMO putting in the recurves/flip tips is a mistake, unless you heat out the twist.
You can have a twisted bow that draws straight http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28324.msg376265.html#msg376265
Or you can have recurves which are straight.
I don't think you can have both at the same time!
Mind I'm quite happy to be proved wrong! >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 08:18:08 am »
Great profile on your piece of wood there but the twist needed to be taken out first before putting any curves on it.You still can put it'll be a guessing game.You'll know when you get a string on it.
A recurved bow can be at rest with opposing propellers in each limb [even 6" of set back recurve or more]but to a very small degree.It all depends on that degree with yours.Good luck and congrats if you can get it to work.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 12:33:18 pm »
Good to know about the twisted recurves ::)

Offline steve b.

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 10:46:02 pm »
Got a string on it.

I thought to myself, "I'm gonna do what these guys told me--do a side nock on the twisted limb". 

Then I said to myself, "what the heck is a side nock?".  I hope its what I did here.  I tried to use common sense to imagine the string pulling the twist into alignment.  Maybe I did it backwards?

This oak is noodley--very limp for its thickness.  I'm going to heat treat.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 10:51:48 pm »
That sir is a side nock. They pull the limb to the side that the nock is on. So when you pull to bow back the limb will twist towards the nock. I do not know if the side nocks are enough though. You may need to still get some twist out.  I hope this bow works for you as it is a very neat looking bow.