Author Topic: Final Pics!!!!!!  (Read 20357 times)

Don Case

Re: Flatbow Update Pics...Belly Heat Treated
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2013, 02:33:26 pm »
I want to take a guess at the tiller to see if I am learning anything. This is more a test of my eyes than you bow. It looks to me like the right hand limb could use more bend from the middle out to the tip and the left hand limb could use more bend from the middle to the handle. Again, this is testing me. How did I do?
Don
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:34:12 pm by Don C »

Offline sonny

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2013, 03:05:48 pm »
It's hard to tell from the pics but it doesn't appear that you heat treated it long enough as the wood's not as dark as
it should be. Not only that but when heat treatment is done properly it drives moisture out of the wood such that the
bow should be allowed to rehydrate for a few days.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2013, 03:39:08 pm »
Lookin good. Maybe do some side tillering on the tips to 1.narrow them 2. To get them to bend just a tad more.

You could also afford to go another pass with the heat gun. A little darker. Then let the wood sit horizontally for a few days then recheck the tiller.

All and all your doing very well.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 09:33:14 pm »
Thanks SLIMBOB.  I will most likely thin the width to the tips.

Don C I believe you are correct.  These are spots I have been slowly working on.  I am just timid of taking off too much too fast.

Thanks Sonny.  I guess I should have researched more about heat treating.  I didnt know to leave it to rehydrate.  I will make another pass to darken it and let it sit and rehydrate.

Thanks Bryce.  I will do as you suggest.

Does anyone have an opinion/experience on where the string tracks and how it will shoot and feel?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Outer thirds width reduction
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 09:17:29 pm »
I reduced the tip width to 5/8" and blended over the outer thirds.  This however brought a small knot on back very close to edge so that its right on the corner.  The knot goes through to the belly.  Do you guys think this will be a problem?  Should I fill it with super glue?

I dont know if you can see it in pic but there are small voids in/around the knot on the back. 

Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Tip width reduced...Is pin knot a problem?
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 11:13:16 pm »
That part of the doesn't do a whole of bending. If you wanna drop some CA glue in there that's fine. But it doesn't look like an issue.
How's the tiller looking?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 08:39:16 am »
Ok.  I ran out of time last night to cut nocks in.  I will cut new nocks tonight and string it and will post new pics once I work on it some.  I appreciate the help.  I would have thought more people(i.e. the regulars) would weigh in on my questions but guess not.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:39 am »
+1 Bryce.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 09:18:59 am »
No one else needed to weigh in on the question Bryce already answered it
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 09:29:15 am »
First things first.
Yes you do need to correct the string tracking issue. This can be done with dry heat no problem.
Get a 3x2 or similar and use it to clamp the bow to sideways. Place a spacer under the outer most part of the sideways curveand use a clamp at either end to apply pressure and reverse the bend. You will need to over correct it by 50% for it to be ok when  you take the clamps off.
So get it all clamped up with the belly facing you and then proceed to heat it and periodically tighten the clamps. Once its all clamped down to where you want it (over corrected) then give it a final pass over with the heat gun. You need it to be hot all the way through so every so often heat the back as well (but not too much!).
Once this is done though you will have to be careful with any more heat treating you do as the heat will allow the corrected sideways bend to relax to it's original shape....so use of a form, spacers and clamps will help hold it.

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 09:24:57 pm »
Thanks  SLIMBOB.

Joec123able I like to get several peoples opinion when it comes to certain things and take action once I have heard several sides/ways to do things.  Maybe its the engineer in me :).  I dont think anyone just takes one persons view and runs with it without researching further.  And just let me also say that I have a very high opinion of Bryce's suggestions and have seen numerous excellent bows from him.  I have actually incorporated all his suggestions so far.  It would not matter who replied I would still want more than one.

Thanks mikekeswik.  I will consider doing this.  I have a couple of questions about it though.  Since I have already heat treated the belly will the additional heat affect anything in a negative way?  If I do use dry heat to correct string, how do I know when it is heated enough but not too much?  Also I am hesitant to heat the back at all because I am afraid of making it too brittle.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 09:34:09 pm »
Makes sence, totally understandable sorry bout that
I like osage

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 09:45:06 pm »
No problem Joec123able.  I appreciate the re-reply :) and no hard feelings here.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline sonny

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 09:48:12 pm »
I disagree that it's necessary to fix the string tracking problem.
That bow is likely to shoot better from the side that the string tracks closest to but then again there's a chance
that it might shoot perfectly regardless of which end is up.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

mikekeswick

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2013, 03:31:31 am »
I disagree that it's necessary to fix the string tracking problem.
That bow is likely to shoot better from the side that the string tracks closest to but then again there's a chance
that it might shoot perfectly regardless of which end is up.

Eh? Just picture what will happen when he draws it??? Either you have to grip the life out of it or let it rotate in the hand for the string to 'centralise' either isn't good.
How many glass, compound etc bows do you see made with the string way off to the side?? What's the reason? Exactly what I said above.
Are you also saying that the lower limb doesn't need to be stronger to get correct tiller? I know for a fact that a well made bow cannot be shot with either limb as the top and stay in tiller.....