Author Topic: Do any of you sell your bows?  (Read 7245 times)

Offline CORIUS

Do any of you sell your bows?
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:21:39 pm »
The reason I ask is because I would like to make some extra money and maybe even make a living off of doin something I love. Any advice on good advertising techniques or any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Do any of you sell your bows?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 12:53:25 am »
I have sold a few bows over the years but prefer to give away any extras I might make.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 01:01:18 am »
nope.
I kinda don't want to, nor do I have the time, tools, or skill to commmercially produce them.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 01:11:20 am »
The best advice I could give you is to not even consider selling them at this point.   You really need to get a lot of experience behind you and build up your wood stash.  Once you get the experience of a bunch of good quality bows and give em away to a few people, word of mouth will bring you more than you can handle.  It would probably be alright to sell a few here and there that you already have made.  But whatever you do, do NOT start taking custom orders until you are absolutely sure that you can deliver.  One other thing to consider, you may love it now, but when you start getting paid for it, it can become just another job and you can get burnt out on it.  I don't want to rain on your parade, but these are just a few of the many things to consider.   Josh

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 01:33:24 am »
good advice Josh.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 01:41:04 am »
I like trading for guns ;D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:04:20 am »
Couldn't have put it better Josh! 8)

Online sleek

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 06:24:54 am »
An important point made, being sure to deliver. Personally I sell sometimes. More often than not honestly. However right now for me is a good example of being far behind and its no fun. I am overdue on two bows already and have a third to make by oct 1st and another after that promised for free. I try to make up for taking so long by giving proper arrows with the bow, and once even gave the bow for free. I could never make a living but it does help with a tank of gas and a nice dinner out on the occasion. But I could make more money if I just took on a second job and still spend less time working.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 08:49:20 am »
Take a year and make about 50-60 bows. Dont sell them, give them away and trade them. After that year is up evaluate your desire to make a living doing it for another 20 years. 60 bows a year will take in about $17-18,000 if your good. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:56:37 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 09:28:47 am »
I'll never be good enough to sell natural material bows in this day and age of warranties and a sue happy society...because they are too unpredictable...that's why a lot of guys switched to glass back in the day..and even today I've seen lots of guys make the switch to glass and give up on selling natural bows because its hard to warranty them against human error/ignorance....and you won't even be making minimum wage either...archers and people complain about the costs of a bow in this day and age and are clueless as to what it takes and how little the bowyer actually makes...good luck

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 09:50:15 am »
Too much like work and not nearly as enjoyable as giving them away.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 11:10:47 am »
I am probably 50-50 on selling bows and giving them away over the years. Selling bows has it pluses and minuses: Plus, extra cash, being recognized for your craftsmanship. Minuses, having to work when you would rather being doing something else, making up failed bows, starting over when you miss poundage and the worst, LIABILITY, the possibility of having someone sue into poverty because a bow failed and hurt them.

The liability issue stopped me from selling bows, still give one away to good friends every now and then, may sell one to an old trusted customer in the future but haven't since the liability issue came to the forefront.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 02:54:48 pm »
You said a mouthful there Eric!  LIABILITY!  That's what happens when low life lawyers take over!  Nowadays, liability is something that has to be considered no matter the endeavor.  Josh

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 03:02:32 pm »
Thank you all for the words of wisdom. I think ill start out by just giving them away for now to close friends and family.
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 05:44:23 pm »
Plus, when you manufacture sporting goods you need to collect the 17% tax that we sportsmen voted long ago to put on ourselves.  No other industry in the country has ever voted a tax like that on itself, only sportsmen.  That money goes to purchasing access and improving habitat for more hunting and fishing opportunities.

I looked into incorporating and going whole hog into bow making years ago.  The first sit-down with an insurance agent was an eye opener.  He suggested a minimum insurance cap at $5 million to insulate myself.  My rates were going to be around $425 a month.  Good thing his office manager was an EMT and knew how to provide CPR. 

I was hoping to sell a bow a month, fer cripes sakes!  Even at a bow a week, it raises your bow prices $108/each.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.