Author Topic: My New Friend Jack - finish pictures added  (Read 30536 times)

Offline echatham

Re: My New Friend Jack
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2013, 11:18:34 am »
this thread warms my heart  ;D  I can't seem to get anybody interested in building a bow  :-\

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2013, 04:34:30 pm »
The skins are Eastern Diamondback Water snakes.  George they are now headed your way.  My contribution young man ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline jstason

« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2013, 06:09:05 pm »
The skins are Eastern Diamondback Water snakes.  George they are now headed your way.  My contribution young man ;)

Cipriano

Thank you Cipriano, it is very much appreciated. They are going to take this bow to a whole new level of cool 8)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2013, 08:30:10 pm »
Thanks Cip, got the skins today. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline 4dog

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2013, 10:45:20 am »
Very,very,very......cool thread.   8)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2013, 08:06:13 pm »
This is such a great thread. Wonderful job sharing your time and experience with such a willing pupil.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2013, 09:37:51 pm »
You are welcome jstason. Happy to contribute ;)

Good deal! Don't mention it george ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2013, 06:45:59 pm »
Jack came by again today.  I should have been deer hunting, but didn't get enough points hafted to arrows to be ready.  This let Jack come a little earlier than we had planned.  He slowly worked up to his draw length scraping away with my butcher knife (aka scraper)...

We had a break in the rain so he got to launch his first arrows.

Since the bow really isn't done we didn't shoot all that much.  He shot it well though.

The bow is 66" n2n and 55lbs at 27".  I expect it to come down another pound or two and the draw to come out another inch as he does the finish sanding  and shoots it in.  It has an inch or 2 of natural deflex right at the handle and so far has taken no set.

You can see the temporary floppy rest taped in place.  We finished the day up gluing together a cork rest and fitting and gluing on mesquite tip overlays.  Next time we get together we'll glue on the snakeskins.

Good days!  :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline dbb

« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »
That looks really great!
Great work...both of you.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2013, 07:33:17 pm »
Get er doneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
keep up the good work :)
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2013, 08:47:27 pm »
I like the bend on that one!  Awesome bow.   ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2013, 09:42:43 pm »
Anyone that doesn't envy that kid for his bow ain't paying enough attention to detail!  That is a very fine example of why deer should be afraid, very afraid!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2013, 10:40:49 pm »
Super nice bow at this point. Gonna be even better when you finish her up with the skins, nice work Jack. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline jstason

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2013, 10:47:57 pm »
Anyone that doesn't envy that kid for his bow ain't paying enough attention to detail!  That is a very fine example of why deer should be afraid, very afraid!

I'm tempted to take it to the 3d range at the bass pro here just to see what people say ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2013, 11:51:55 pm »
Is that the Bass Pro over by DFW airport?  Don't forget to practice with that longbow you took home, it'll help you be more comfortable at that draw weight.  Do you have plans for arrows yet?  I don't have wood shafts in that spine weight, other than the 2 in the 3Rivers test kit.

You did well today Jack.  I really didn't help much in the final tillering and it looks great!

George
St Paul, TX