Author Topic: AZ archery bulls (Apache land elk)  (Read 7871 times)

Offline RabidApache

AZ archery bulls (Apache land elk)
« on: August 30, 2013, 02:58:54 pm »
Well fellas I'm headed out for two weeks chasing bulls in the south eastern AZ. I live on a reservation and have been drawn for Sept archery elk. Hunt starts Sunday of all things. Oh well but it gives me a day or so of scouting and listening for the all mighty "bugle"!
I will be taking my trusty osage longbow 62"ntn 62# at 26". I crafted a couple composite boo arrows with the Ole' Fred Bear razorheads a friend traded me awhile back. Too back me up the smoothest drawing and sweetest shooting mulberry bow. 54# at 26" with elk sinew backed.
Overall IMO I think this hunt is gonna "rock"! We have been getting decent monsoons and its been greening up all over in the high country.
Elk calls carried along will be my tried and true Woodswise "Hyperhot reed call" and my very own voice box.

I hope to find something close to this!!!!! But I ain't picky.
Forever making arrows!

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: AZ archery bulls (Apache land elk)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:33:48 pm »
Good Luck, Happy hunting. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 03:48:00 pm »
Lucky Dog.  Good for you.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:54 pm »
Shoot straight when you get your chance, good luck!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 02:05:13 am »
Best of luck!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 08:54:11 am »
That ought to be a great hunt, best of luck to ya and take some pics to show us when your back.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline rhansen

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 09:20:35 am »
Outstanding!
Take lots of pictures!

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 05:48:40 pm »
Best of luck to you!!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 09:46:11 am »
  I'd love to be beside you even just to be there.
           GOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD LUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 01:40:29 pm »
Can't wait to see what takes place.  I've enjoyed your posts in the post and the photos!
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:04 pm »
Good luck! I've always wanted  to hunt that part of the country. That kind of terrain is about as foreign to me as anyplace I've ever been.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 12:32:09 pm »
OK fellas.......here it is!!!!!!!!!!

I had 4 close encounters with Bull elk all under 40yds.
The first encounter was at a waterhole in a normally dry wash. After recent rains days before that left water puddles here and there. I decided to set-up a "quicky" blind with brush and wait it out since it was a hot day. I had previously that morning bedded a bull not too far from a secluded waterhole. Well I simply lost track of time that day and wanted to be at the spot before 3pm. Well I left camp at 3pm. Anyway you pretty much know how "Murphy's" law works. While myself and companion were walking to the waterhole I hear a distant bugle. It sounded like from the waterhole. So we snuck our way closer....I figured we should be nearby when I peered to my right and there....not 50yds broadside is a 6X6 bull. Not huge but well within my "score book". We immediately go to one knee to see what he would do. A few minutes pass, wind is good, we wait until bull decides to thrash an oak brush near a huge pine tree. I slip my pack off, signal to buddy to remain while I put the sneek to him. 40yds he still is occupied with raking brush. I detour around a down limb and get a juniper between elk and myself. Every time he moves I move. Elk are noisy critters so I felt comfortable with my movements. Now I'm 28-30yds. I look thru the juniper and he's still raking. I decided 5 more steps and I'm letting her fly!!!
At 25 yards bull is stilling raking and is standing broadside facing left. I say a quick prayer to calm myself. I try to compose but my heart is racing. I look once more, I pick a tuff of hair 2/3's up the side I draw and let the bow sing. Arrow smacks a rock behind bull. He whirls around after shot and walks slowly out the ravine. Haha. Arrow harmlessly flew inches over his back. I fall back, and feel sick. I miss at 25yds broadside!!!!!!OMG I retrieve arrow and the point is gone after striking rock.
We leave back for truck. Right at dark we another bugle, sounded like him. LOL
Well after two more encounters, a bull at 42 yds quartering away I pass too far a shot. Third encounter at 12 feet no shot. Too much brush. Dang it can catch a break.
Back at camp compounded shooters killing bulls got me kinda down. I drown my sorrows with beer and whisky. Next day spent chilling around camp, shooting and nursing our "hangovers".
Ok back to the hunt.
4 days til season ends. I go solo since my buds back is sore that evening (old bull riding days). I notice darkness in the horizon so that means cool weather which means active bulls. So off I go. No sooner I arrive I hear a distant bugle. Its now 5pm and its a slight drizzle. I move quicker with all the movement from the wind and excellent sound cover. I listen to two bulls roaring back and forth. I move, its getting darker. Finally I hear a bugle not 100yds from me. I slowly walk towards, looking and listening. Wind is good, I actually smell the rank bull. I now hear two bulls locked in mortal combat. I now walk at a fast pace towards the commotion. I see one bull, the other is in the brush. I'm now 20yds and trying to find a shot. They unlock and smaller bull walks after cow. Second bull walks straight at me and steps though an opening at 7yds. By then the POC is on its way. Solid thump, 18-20 inches of penetration with RIBTEK BH. He whirls as if a bull just attacked him. All this 10mins. before dark!!!! He now stands 40yds gurgling blood and wheezing. I figure dead elk so I leave to find buddy's to help with tracking.
Long story short we get waterlogged. 2" of rainfall that night we arrive back to locate downed elk. No blood no tracks. We search but in vain. We also had to cross four creek crossings so that was also heavy on my mind with all the rain and flooding. Roads turned into water canals. We hurry out and decided that was best move. We get back to camp at 3AM soaked muddy and tired. Next day crossings are swollen and we stay at camp. Finally weather breaks and 8 of us head back to search. With all the sign washed out we criss-cross the area.
Well after three solid days of searching and with the help of the ravens I find the bull.

6X7 Archery bull taken with my trusty 62# Osage.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:38:47 pm by RabidApache »
Forever making arrows!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 01:05:54 pm »
Nice work! That smile says it all!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 10:17:47 pm »
Nice horns, was any of the meat salvageable?
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 11:32:00 pm »
Great story. Congratulations. Nice bull.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC