Author Topic: Home made redneck deer target  (Read 4880 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Home made redneck deer target
« on: August 29, 2013, 08:27:06 pm »
I've had this idea for a deer target bouncing around my head for a while.  I have a tendency to shoot over the back of deer when they are close so I wanted to make a realistic target to practice on instead of a flat target.   I saved a bunch of feed bags and stuffed as many as I could into one bag.  I sewed the end up and added a front leg to give it a natural target area.  I sprayed painted it brown and hung it from a swing frame.  I have been shooting it from a step ladder on a second story deck.  It works great.  It stops my field points with ease.  The target is about the same size as the body of a deer.  Its much more realistic than shooting at a block target with a deer shape painted on it.  I'm focusing on following the front leg up and putting the arrow right in the sweet spot.  I'm not sure how it would hold up to broad heads or stone points.  I'm guessing they would tear it up a little faster than field points.  I think this is going to help me improve my shooting from tree stands this fall.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Roy

Re: Home made redneck deer target
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 09:05:03 pm »
I guess it's Ok..  ;)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 09:08:55 pm »
Good idea Clint!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 09:12:48 pm »
Material them feed bags is mad out of is hard to digest! Hope it helps. ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:28:27 pm »
It's gotta help, I can only imagine.  Good luck Clint!  Looking forward to seeing red arrow pics from you this fall.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 09:29:58 pm »
Ditto JW :D
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:43:50 pm »
I think it will help me.  I'm going to focus on that front leg and not look at the deer when the time comes.  Shooting that target just seems more real than shooting at a block. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 11:04:01 pm »
It looks real movable too, you can change position each time you retrieve arrows if wanted. Carful on the roof Clint.  ;) dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 10:55:04 am »
That is awesome clint! I use the stuffed feed bags alot myself, even shoot stone points into them.. just push/pull them on thru.. When mine starts gettin chewed up I just put another bag over it, and there are always plenty of wallyworld sacks to repack if needed... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 12:15:41 pm »
Your on the right path my friend.Enough times and it'll be automatic and your season will be over with in a hurry......Unless you get another tag......LOL.Here in Iowa I think I can buy 5 if I want to but usually only buy 2 or 3.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 04:31:26 pm »
good idea OO, I like to make cheap, I mean innovative targets myself and these are perfect for stone heads
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 05:48:41 pm »
What's redneck about it
I like osage

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 06:24:01 pm »
Good to see you taking the self bows more seriously,and really taking the time to practice with them and better your shot....that's important when the time comes to make meat.... :D

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 04:01:00 pm »
Cool target.  Yep, anything that puts you in the mindset of shooting a deer will help.  I used to miss a lot until it finally clicked for me.  Two things changed it all for me.  One - I don't take long shots.  Two- (and this sounds so cliche' I hate to say it, but it is true) aim small to miss small.  Number two, I take a step further....  I only look at the small place that I want to put an arrow in.  Once, I make up my mind to shoot a deer, I quit seeing "deer" and I start burning a laser beam focus on that tiny little spot I want to hit.  I also aim at the lowest possible spot over the heart.  Deer's first move is usually straight down,  like a runner hitting the starting blocks.  If you aim for a low heart shot, that buys you a bigger kill zone to shoot for.   The doe I killed last year was the only deer I ever killed that did not react to the sound of the string, and the arrow hit her low but through the heart.   Sorry to be going on and on, but dang it, if October doesn't get here soon I will need therapy.  good luck this year.  ;)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 10:53:10 pm »
Nice one
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell