Author Topic: Hair Bow String (video added)  (Read 6400 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Hair Bow String (video added)
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:01:07 pm »
I hate haircuts.  I just don't like them.  I went a year a little over a year without a haircut.  I just couldn't stand to throw all those "fibers" away.  I decided if I'm going to cut it then I'll have to do something useful with it.  Mind you it wasn't long enough for locks of love and it had to come off during the summer. 

I read somewhere that people have made bow strings from hair.  I figured this would be a fun experiment.  So I grabbed some natural cordage and tied up a lock and grabbed a sharp stone and cut it off.  I had my first strands off my head.  Yeah, then I got a pretty redhead to tie up the rest with bands and cut them off with scissors.   >:D

I videoed the whole thing so I'm hoping to get that edited soon.  Here are some pictures until then.

http://youtu.be/NNazMRnVF4Y

For a light poundage bow it's not bad at all.  I compared it with an agave string and it is a little heavier but no much and it does have a certain amount of stretch but that stretch isn't much and when it's braced you can hardly tell.  I may end up using it as a handle wrap or something like that or maybe I'll keep it on my bow!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:32:41 am by PrimitiveTim »
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Parnell

Re: Hair Bow String
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:36:43 pm »
That's awesome!  We gotta get Bonepile and Pat B to contribute to a beard string!
1’—>1’

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 01:55:53 pm »
That's awesome!  We gotta get Bonepile and Pat B to contribute to a beard string!

The PA community beard string!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 03:35:03 pm »
That's is too cool. I was wondering how that would work out. how heavy poundage bow do you think it will handle? Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:57:48 pm »
  I wonder how long it would take to get the years of food particles, grease, beer, drool, nose cheese from sneezes and all the little critters out, before you could use it for a string.  :P :P;D ;D ;D ;D  Have you tried horse hair?  I would think it would only be good for a light poundage bow, as it would take a pretty thick string for a higher weight bow.  What weight is that bow, that it is on?  The Indians used horse hair for ropes and such.  Pretty cool, just trim it up a bit, and it is a beauty. ;)  Nice job. 8)  Ok, so where is the  Red Head video? ::) ;D ;D

Wayne
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:05:48 pm by stickbender »

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 05:26:05 pm »
This is bow is probably 30 pounds or a little less.  I think it could certainly handle something heavier though.  I haven't tried horse hair. 

Offline Marks

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 06:17:48 pm »
I trimming my beard down after a year in October. Maybe I should put it in the trading post. Beard hair might be a little tougher than head hair. I have noticed my beard hairs are flat but I digress.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 11:16:56 pm »
I trimming my beard down after a year in October. Maybe I should put it in the trading post. Beard hair might be a little tougher than head hair. I have noticed my beard hairs are flat but I digress.

Try sleeping on you back or side. ;) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 01:32:11 am »
Good idea Ive thought of this my self hair is incredibly strong and no doubt would hold up to heavier bows I think
I like osage

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 08:00:57 am »
Beard hairs for sale $1.00 apiece :o colors  are grey and not so grey
Bone
Venice Florida

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 08:55:28 am »
  THATS PATIANCE'S
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Hair Bow String (video added)
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 09:34:48 am »
Haha, I don't think hair is going to be a hot item in the trading past anytime soon.  It was weird enough working with my own hair but working with someone else's hair would just be kind of nasty, especially since use my mouth in the cordage making process.

Enjoy the video!  There are a few links here and there and it's all the same video

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 01:59:58 pm »
Lol I never said anyone else should do it.  This was more of a "Hey look what I can do" kind of video.  Tell your wife you thought she loved you for your kind heart... not for you hair.   >:D  guilt trippin' is the way to go :D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 09:00:41 am »
Very Cooool.Great investigative work.Horse hair I'm sure you know was used by Indians on their bridles and other harnessing too.I've seen hair used as a lanyard for a pocket watch too.Now I can say I've seen it used as a bow string.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 10:48:46 am »
Good videos!  I watched your kayak trip video also.  Good stuff.
1’—>1’