Author Topic: Sinew backing ?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Sinew backing ?
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:21:39 pm »
I've been busy making bows and getting them tillered. Due to poor health and lung surgery mid May I haven't been able to shoot a bow since early in the year. I now have better than a half dz bows ready for break in and another half dz early to late stages of development.

There are a couple of these bows that I'm sinew backing and had some questions regarding proceeding.

One of them is a skinny little osage 58" NTN less than 1" in width. I pulled this one out of the trash pile because it had cracks running lengthwise down most of the bow decided to see if it could be saved and made into a 30-35# bow that I can shoot now. All of my other bows are heavier and I'll need to slowly work back into them.

As the first course of sinew dried there are tiny nibs that are dry and sticking up. There very small, can't even see them unless looking very closely but can be felt when running your hands over the back.

Should I sand these fairly smooth  or will they naturally lay down when sizing with hide glue before adding the second layer?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline sonny

Re: Sinew backing ?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:54:46 pm »
sand 'em down a  bit before applying the next course of sinew.
also, just for safety's sake, wash the back with something (dish detergent for instance) to get any oils you may have
left off of it. this ensures a good bond for the next layer.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 09:21:04 pm »
Thanks sonny. Would acetone work or is it too harsh?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 09:27:33 pm »
I don't think that acetone would hurt it but I wouldn't try it...

wash with water and dish detergent which wets the hide glue in the first course of sinew, then
apply your next course.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.