Author Topic: autumn olive  (Read 1634 times)

Offline RyanR

autumn olive
« on: August 28, 2013, 06:22:27 pm »
I seen a previous post about autumn olive but it seemed no one had tried making a bow out of this stuff. I just was looking for information if anyone has tried. Density, bow length and construction. I might go cut some this weekend.

Offline Josh B

Re: autumn olive
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 10:56:36 pm »
I gave it a shot once.  The wood is very hard and dense.  I blew it up pretty early in the tillering, but I'm pretty well convinced that the fault was mine. (Wrong layout, wrong design). I have one more piece to try, but it has as many knots and thorns as the first piece did.  I think a flatter backed and cleaner stave than I have might be promising.  Here's the link to my attempt. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35585.msg468308.html#msg468308.     Good luck and post your results.  Josh

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:46:12 am »
Howdy,   The search function does not appear to be working for me today.  Non the less, I know several threads in the past have dealt with making bows from autumn olive or its close relative , russian olive.   Results have varied, but usable bows are possible.  Russian olive wood is dense, with beautiful heartwood and I suspect the same is true of autumn olive.   Reports also say the wood tends to be brittle and difficult to dry without checking or splitting.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline RyanR

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:48:38 pm »
Thanks for the info. I have my eye on some and I think there might be some with a decent diameter.