Author Topic: About to make a yellow heart bellied english longbow, wondering what to expect..  (Read 1639 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Well I am about to make my first yellow heart bow. It will be a tri-lam: bamboo backing, purple heart core, and yellow heart belly. From what I can gather from other bowyer's on here and other various depths on the internet, yellow heart is actually a pretty decent bow wood for the most part. The specific yellow heart I have right now seems pretty flimsy, not very stiff at all. So I am not sure I have some good yellow heart or not. The bow should be around 1" thick total (at the handle), and 76" from tip to tip after glue up, and maybe 1 1/8" wide (at the handle). My only concern is if I am going to crush the belly or not. I don't plan on gluing in any more than like 1/4" reflex or so, if that.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Make that boo razor thin and take it easy on the glued up reflex. Id suggest a string follow bow if compression is your concern.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

Should be no problem. I've done a yellow heart tri-lam in one of my workshops, and it came out great. I didn't use bamboo as the backing, however. It might be a bit overpowering. I wouldn't glue in reflex, either.

Offline toomanyknots

Thanks for the advice guys. If all goes well, I should post some pics of how it turns out. I'll be gluing it up in a couple minutes. I got about two more yellow heart bellys left, so if this one turns out ok, I'll make up a couple more and see how they do as well. :) I sure do like how it is about a thousand times lighter than ipe.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair