Author Topic: Anyone tried the Chainsaw in a can?  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Anyone tried the Chainsaw in a can?
« on: August 27, 2013, 02:33:28 pm »
I'm considering making a home made pocke chainsaw so that I can slip into the woods near me at this park that has several arge fallen trees and precut logs to get out with.  couple of beauties but I'll need to cut it down. 
Camp fires are permitted in the park so presumeably they mean from the localy felled wood.  But i'm cautious to get back there with a chainsaw and make a scene of myself.  Thought this may be a great way to go.

I see guys on You Tube making them out of regular chainsaws...  Do they realy work that well?

Offline danny f

Re: Anyone tried the Chainsaw in a can?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:35:19 pm »
do you have a link to the youtube vid. this sounds interesting.  :)

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 03:06:34 pm »
 I used to have one that was called the pocket chainsaw. it's awesome and that's how I used to steal all my bow wood when I was a kid
and yes I said steal, better than some things kids do

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:12:24 pm »
I cant believe you sleep at night crook. Maybe you and Jordan need to team up and steal wood together.....man....you big city kids are all the same.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:27:05 pm »
Secret Agent Secret Squirrel!  Here we go Pearlie! ;D
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »
Forgot about you thief! Your probably the King Pin aint ya'?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 03:48:03 pm »
could not help myself had to stir things up a bit >:D  bring it on pearly boy!

Offline Albert

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 07:43:37 pm »
Have you thought about an arborist hand saw? I regularly use a Silky Zubat (330mm) to cut my staves, cuts very quick, scary sharp and has more uses than a pocket chainsaw for other bowyery work. It can still be concealed very easily in a small backpack if you need to be secretive...

Oh and just for fun I felled a 12'' maple with it the other day. It was a workout but it worked.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:10:41 pm »
Yeah Pauls part of a Chicago street gang called the Arborist, their gang colors are camo.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Japbow

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 04:13:31 am »

I use the Silky Bigboy Folding saw. (360 mm)
      It fits readily in a backpack and with the large
      teeth, it cuts quite well. The US list price is
      about $60, while it sells for about the equivalent
      of about $40 here in Japan. One thing you
      need to get used to is that Japanese saws cut
      on the pull stroke. I highly recommend it.

Japbow.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 09:18:32 am »
I'm not felling new wood.  only taking from existing piles.  It is a hike to get to it so I need to cut it down to get it out wiht out killing myself lest local papers say "wood workerk found dead of exhaustion on hiking path from pusing large log up hill".  It isn't as much about "conceal" as it is easy carry and storage.  It would slip nicely into a back pocket. 

Pocket chainsaw is another name.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 09:34:30 am »
I use a simple folding Gerber and can cut a 4-6" tree up quickly. Its about 12" long folded up and costs about $15.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 09:44:42 am »
i've got a gerber too, even smaller though, the one where the blade slides into the handle. Can still handle larger stuff if needed because it cuts so well. and only about 10 bucks. I did break one, but that was my fault, after some whiskey my friend said his buck saw could cut faster than my saw, a saw-off ensued and my saw ended up broken...but i still won!
45# at 27"

Offline Parnell

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 09:45:36 am »
I have an army of illegal migrant workers cutting for me all in the name of "landscaping"!!!  Muah ha ha ha!
1’—>1’

Offline dwardo

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 01:29:42 pm »
I have tried a few types of pocket saw for "evening" pruning services, free of charge of-course.

Laplander saw - Solid safe lockup and a nice size to fit the pocket. Effective two way cutting action and very robust saw. Bent the tip a few times whilst in a hurry and you can just bend them back.

Silky pocket saw. Much faster cut that the laplander but you need to be more careful with the blade as they are prone to snapping, more skill less muscles and will cut much faster than the lappy.

Wire saws, good for snares and nothing more

Pocket chain saw, using two people they are all-right at a push but are a very slow cut.

The thing that beats them all and way cheaper than all the above is a good bow saw with a new blade. If you want to carry the blade small then wind it up in a billy can or similar. You can even leave the handle at home and make one onsite.