Author Topic: Tree Id  (Read 3480 times)

Offline Blacktail

Tree Id
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:14:05 am »
This is a tree I came across while out hunting and I was just wondering if you guys think it is bow wood or not. I am thinking it might be service berry but I am not too sure. What is your guys opinion?

Offline Blacktail

Re: Tree Id
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:09:04 am »
i did some looking around..i am wondering if its a hazel..i wish there was some fuit...

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 02:21:42 am »
I have scoured the Internet looking for the exact same tree!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:20:31 am »
pretty darn sure it's serviceberry. here in washington it looks very similar. I'm guessing by the bark that this cluster was in the mountains, am i right?
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline randman

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:29:22 am »
Not hazel....leaves are too round at the tip for any Hazel I've ever seen.......Never seen serviceberry that I know of so I'm watchin this one to learn if it is serviceberry so I'll know next time I'm in the woods.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:57:19 am »
I don't know what it is but I like the looks of it ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 09:37:04 am »
+1 on serviceberry   cut cut cut
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 01:22:59 pm »
Up here I'd call it Saskatoon, which in American translates to -- Serviceberry. The leaves are the key. Roundish, serrated tip and kind of floppy.
Don

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 02:19:07 pm »
i think the only reason there's any confusion about whether it's serviceberry or not is because the bark changes with altitude... it becomes rougher, darker, more lichen etc the higher up you go, if you find some lower in some valleys or even small hills you will get straighter shoots and smoother bark, i've found some of the best stuff growing on the foothills of bigger mountains, but yeah i'd cut it if you find a good piece.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 04:36:47 pm »
Looks like serviceberry to me.
Gordon

Offline Albert

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 07:31:26 pm »
Looking at the leaves it seems to be a tree from the Rosaceae family, so serviceberry would be match. The serviceberry around here has reddish streaks throughout the wood, very easy to spot if you giva a few drawknife strokes.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 07:53:32 pm »
My first though was Mountain Mahogany, but could be Serviceberry.  Either would be bow wood. Looks like it has some tight rings. I bets its dense.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 09:28:11 pm »
its in the ochocos...first i thought it was service berry BUT then i thought maybe hazel....it will be getting cut this fall...i just havent seen any other bow wood other than juniper in the desert..SO,i guess its a good find for me...thanks for the help guys...john

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 11:47:56 pm »
Chris, my book says Amelanchier stolonifera, Running Serviceberry, 4" to 6" stoloniferous shrub which forms small thickets of stiff, erect stems, flowers are white, fruit is purplish black(edible). Native from Newfoundland and Maine to Virginia in non-calcareous soils.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 01:06:47 am »
thanks pat for the help...i just wonder how in the heck it got all the way over here...there is some strange things that happen in the woods...john