Author Topic: Golden Chain Tree, take down 33/28 (No. 33)  (Read 22243 times)

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
Re: Golden Chain Tree, take down 33/28 (pic heavy)
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2013, 01:27:58 pm »
Thanks again for that positive response!

Very impressive Sir!  I was wondering how long have you been employing this design?  More to the point, how is the longevity of a hollow limb design compare to oh....say a flatbow design.  I can see some definite advantages to the design, but I would be concerned about the bow splitting itself as the limb flattened out at full draw.  Have you noticed any tendencies or signs of that happening ?  Would it be your opinion that a highly interlocked grain wood is necessary for this design?  I'm very seriously considering giving this a try, so please forgive all the dumb questions.  Lol!  It looks like a very in depth project that I would prefer to learn as much as possible BEFORE attempting.  Which is an entirely new approach for me.  Lol!  Beautifully done sir!  Josh

Josh, I will answeryour questions. But sorry for the long replay, cannot say shorter:

1. Employ, results, longevity
I have made about 20 HLD bows so far, it should be more to get funded results. I began the HLD when I remember right 2010. Some bows were gifted away, some sold and some still in my possession. I never heard of a failure, my bows are still in use. I didn’t notice any chrysal or fret, esp. in the ‘belly walls’. Never had a vertically splitting, even in this one where the hollowed out is extreme. A word to the flatting out, this does not mean that the curved limb becomes a flat limb. You can feel the effect when you hold your hands on the belly of the limb while the bow is drawn (of course by another or on the tree).
I came to this design more or less by accident. A stave had very changing crown (depth), so to get it matched I could have narrowed it on the sides. But then the front profile would have a changing width. I decided to give a hollowed out limb (in that section) a try and that was it. It did work!

2. Advantages
The HLD allows a limb with lower mass compared to flat or lenticular cross section by a given draw weight. The lower mass causes a faster return of the drawn limb, more energy on the arrow – a better cast. HLD bows have a different f/d curve compared to flat bows. There is a steeper curve in the beginning of draw and a milder increase at the last inches, because of the flattening out. I will not say there is something like a let off (like in wheelie bows), but the limbs thickness differs while drawing the bow. You know the limb’s depth is much more critical than the width. Double the width and you get a bow with 2x draw weight. But double the depth you will get a bow with 8x the draw weight. I will say, just a little difference in the limb’s depth (flattening) causes a great effect.
Drawing a HLD bow always reminds me on spring steel, the draw is very smooth and comfortable.
In my opinion the limb’s belly has lower stress compared to the flat profile (see my sketch I the buildalong). The flattening out causes a tension horizontally, perhaps this allows more room for the cells to compress vertically.

3. Bow wood
I have done HLD on osage, elm, yew, hazel, golden chain tree, euonymus europaeus (don’t know the English word), maybe some others I don’t remember now …
At least hazel is marginal bow wood, but I had a surprisingly good result with that specific bow (is posted a few weeks ago), so I cannot say HLD needs a highly interlocked grain like elm. But wouldn’t use a wood gnarly like this with dogleg different reflex and so on anymore, this was a challenge.

4. Design
A stave with a high crown is needed. The depth of the limb (measured over the hollow) compared to the width should be in the ratio of 1:3, otherwise it doesn’t flatten out and you lose a great advantage. The curved wall of the limb must be thin enough to work. The two ends of the wall should have no edges and must be sanded round to prevent excessive stress. These are just my thoughts and experience. 

Hope I could help
Seeing forward to your HLD bows guys
cannot wait to share experience!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2013, 01:42:03 pm »
Thanks for sharing that simson.Almost sounds easy.....LOL.You must be a mass weight to draw weight ratio bow makin kind of guy.It does make a diff.Your statement of the draw smoothing out towards the end intrigues me.Sometimes my ironwood here will have an elongated furrow on the back either convexed or concave to be adjusted from the belly side.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dbb

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2013, 02:01:54 pm »
Very interesting,i will have to try this.
I have spotted some lilacs on a deserted plot that i can "steal"  >:D
Btw samson  Euonymus europaeus (spindle, European spindle, common spindle) Del asked about it just the other day.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2013, 11:05:00 pm »
Thank you very much for the detailed answers Simon!  It is greatly appreciated.  If I'm not mistaken, I believe that I have a few Osage limbs that had ant damage in the core buried in my stash somewhere.  This sounds like the best way to make something from them.  Thanks again!  Josh

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 06:00:48 pm »
Stunning work. That full draw shape is gorgeous.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2013, 07:53:07 pm »
Simon,

Thank You Again, for your work in the Build Along, Explainations and Discusion.
I think it's a very Elagant design.
And I've defiantly added this design to my "Have to Do List"...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bowster

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2013, 03:48:09 am »
Wow, that´s great artistry, best regards from bavaria

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2013, 11:00:06 am »
after looking back over the pics i acctually prefer the filed in knocks, especialy with the horn in the middle. but also a really cool bow.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline ohma2

« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2013, 01:18:27 pm »
been on here a long time and seen alot of great ones, that simson is a show stopper.thanks for the build along and the finish.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2013, 01:54:02 pm »
Wicked bow:-).....you had me worried when i first saw the stave;-).

Fortunatly I have plenty laburnum (Golden Chain/Rain)...mostly seasoned billets. I am not sure i dare dig into them just yet.

Cheers and thanks alot

Offline bowster

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2013, 02:48:08 am »
Wow, that´s one of the most impressive bows, i´ve ever seen, and it offers me a lot of ideas for my own projects. May i ask you, where you live in germany? because i´m german too, from the chiemgau, and if there´s a place, where your bows can be watched live?
With the best regards from germany, Dieter

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »
   everything has already said, thank you for building and posting this bow

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2013, 07:28:14 pm »
 The most interesting bow I have ever seen. Absolutely beautiful wood and craftsmanship...
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2013, 09:16:25 pm »
Amazing.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2013, 09:58:15 pm »
damnnnn, so nice man