Author Topic: tiller help please  (Read 2310 times)

Offline danny f

tiller help please
« on: August 25, 2013, 08:37:27 am »
hi, i am working on this yew bow and wanted some help on the tiller. i think the left limb needs bending more from the fades to mid limb. is the right limb bending to much mid limb? there are some big wiggles in the right limb which hasn't helped on my eyes lol.   any help appreciated thanks.

Offline bushboy

Re: tiller help please
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 09:28:10 am »
For some reasom I can't see all of the right limb on my phone,but your left outer limb has to bend I can see it in your brace
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 09:38:19 am »
Don't pull it too far while its out of tiller.  What's the shape of the limbs?  Are there any areas along the limb that you want not to bend because of knots or whatever?
Both limbs are stiff on the outer half.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 11:16:17 am »
Match your left limb to your right limb, and you'll be good. Is it a takedown bow?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 12:07:18 pm »
I'd say the right is working a bit hard inner third, and the left is stronger than the right.
Easing off the left ( outer 1/3 IMO) first will take some load off the right which may make the right look more even.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline danny f

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 09:49:45 am »
thanks for the help. there  are 2 knots in the right limb one is near the tip so not to bad but the other is midlimb and is right at the edge of the limb. i think it will need taking out and filling with new wood. i will have a look on your site del. for some tips. yes the bow is a take down. the only think is the sleeves are so tight its almost impossible to take it down lol.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 10:20:14 am »
What Del said,looking pretty good so far. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 11:10:44 am »
Just my 2 cents here.Your almost there looks like to me.Looks pretty darn good.
As far as getting your sleeves to slide a little easier.Get some fine emory cloth and do a little shoe shining on them.Fit it in and out lots of times.That'll fix that.Maybe you know this but to undo your takedown to two pieces I put the bow behind me at calf level then use my arms as a fulcrom with my hands grasping the bow 6" above the fades a just pry the takedown apart.It's easier then tugging on it in front of you.It's kind of hard to explain without seeing it done.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline danny f

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 04:32:04 pm »
well i cut 1.5" off each end and heat treated the belly. the bow was gona come in under weight. i think it looks alot better, the pics this time are the opposite way round sorry. i now think the left limb is slightly stiffer. but i would rather this be my bottom limb anyway. i have also taken out 2 knots from the left limb and put some new wood in. it is being drawn 22"and i am pulling it 40# i am aiming for 28" and between 45 and 55# any comments welcome thanks danny.

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 05:48:35 pm »
I would still work both limbs in the mid sections especially the left limb. Or just take a few scrapes on the left one and try pulling it to 24-25" and take it from there.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline danny f

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 06:28:03 pm »
thanks bow 101 i will do abit more tomorrow. there is a knot on the left mid limb where the dip is but i will give it a few scrapes and see how it looks again

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 08:11:15 pm »
I actually like the looks of the left limb more than the right.  Since it is the stronger limb, take a little off until it's a bit closer to the right.  Looks close.  Tillering bows with that much character, it's tough to give much specific advice, scrape here, scrape there.  You've got to pull back and take a broader view of the landscape.  Bring the left limb around a little IMO.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 12:18:34 am »
Depending on how far back that is pulled.... If it is real short draw so far I would say get the outer 2/3 of the left limb bending a tiny bit more. If is 18" or so I would say I lik the right limb
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!