Author Topic: Handles  (Read 15183 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Handles
« on: November 29, 2007, 02:14:31 pm »
This is a gonna be a thread about types of handles and how you make them. Here is how I make most of my center shot handles. First I rough out the shape by hand or with my bandsaw, depends how I feel.  Then after smoothing out the shape and sanding I glue on a shelf, mostly leather but sometimes I will use a different colored piece of wood as a shelf. Then I wrap with soft leather, I always consider a handle unfinished without a nice leather wrap.

Feel free to post yours

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline indiaman

Re: Handles
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 03:49:57 pm »
Canīt get to the pics   ???

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 04:01:59 pm »
Marc,
Pics aren't coming through.

Offline mitchman

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 06:21:21 pm »
same here.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 07:21:23 pm »
I saw them just fine. Thanks
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 07:57:07 pm »
The work now.  I like that handle design Marc. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jbell

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 08:37:27 pm »
Very cool lookin handles Marc. I have one ? though, the top pic shows more of a cut out than a shelf, do you build up a shelf with some other material or do you shoot off your knuckle? Justi curious. ;)
Justin Blunt

Offline Jbell

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 08:59:17 pm »
Sorry Marc I just reread your post and it said you build up a shelf. DOH! ::) While I am here I might as well show you how I build my handles. I so far prefer a bulbous grip for three reasons. First, I really like how well the shape naturally fits a persons hand. Second, where the handle dips into the width of the bow limbs creates a nice narrow place for the arrow to pass while still retaining a great amount of stability in that area. Third, I really like the way it looks, every thing flows very nicely into the fades and width of the bow limb. I measure 11/8" at the center then at top and bottom of the handle I measure about 7/8" then usually 11/2" fades.
 I sometimes use a built up shelf made of leather and CA. But am quite interested in trying a cut out shelf like Marcs on my next one, they look pretty interesting.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Justin Blunt

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:02:16 pm »
That looks cool - gives me an idea. I'm still workin on handles, so far mine are pretty dull :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 08:46:24 am »
The narrowed area for the shelf on the  bows above were all reduced by hand with a rasp so you don't need to do any cutting.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline billy

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 11:30:21 am »
uh.....looks like you burned the belly on those bows cause you heated them way too much.  I think they're probably weak, worthless, and liable to break.  All your bows that look like that should be sent to me...immediately.  That way they will break when I shoot them and I'll be injured, not you.  That's why I'm here...to protect you from yourself!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 11:50:37 am »
I don't quite see how the leather strip (very atttractive,  BTW) starts and finishes. I imagine the begining is tucked in but how does it end?
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 12:40:42 pm »
I don't quite see how the leather strip (very atttractive,  BTW) starts and finishes. I imagine the begining is tucked in but how does it end?

I've wondered about the same thing.

Marc, thank you for the pics. That looks like a very elegant solution.

You make some nice bows Jbell.
Gordon

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 01:42:26 pm »
I really appreciate your caring and thoughtful suggestion Billy but I would really hate myself if I did as you suggested and you got hurt instead :)

The leather is tucked in at both ends. At the bottom the leather is trimmed so that it feathers out to a point then that is tucked under with a sharp instrument.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bowmo

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 02:23:26 pm »
I always make a bulbous handle of some sort. My handles seem so be getting smaller and smaller as I really like them tiny now. I don't go quit as extreme as Marc but I also file in a little deeper in the handle where the arrow passes. And I aways make my rest deep and out thick leather and I always do a handle wrap with some sort of leather.

dan

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 02:27:58 pm by bowmo »