Author Topic: Harvesting Bamboo Shoots for Bow Backing  (Read 1606 times)

Offline BryBow

• With enough thrust, Pigs fly just fine.
Harvesting Bamboo Shoots for Bow Backing
« on: August 22, 2013, 04:39:04 pm »
I have a ton of Chinese Bamboo shoots I can harvest and use for bow backing. How large does the circumference of the bamboo shoot have to be on the stalk before cutting it and using it for bow backing?

After I cut the stalk do I need to seal with glue where I cut the stalk as you do when you cut a tree?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:46:48 pm by BryBow »
Bryan
When you shoot an arrow of truth dip it in honey.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Harvesting Bamboo Shoots for Bow Backing
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 05:31:03 pm »
Ive only ever seen it. Never harvested it. The boo Ive seen used for backers was from 3-4" diameter pieces.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »
3" to 4" minimum and that would be for a pretty narrow bow. 6" to 8" diameter is a lot better.
 Cut the pole to length(6') and use something rigid like a pipe or rebar and punch down through the webbing inside each node for good air circulation. Then set the poles aside is a protected area, off the ground to dry for a month. split it in half and let it dry some more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BryBow

• With enough thrust, Pigs fly just fine.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 09:48:26 pm »
Thank you Pearl and thank you Pat. Not sure I can come up with a stalk that's 6" in circumference. It's a pretty thick clump of shoots about 15-20' around total. The edge stalks are 3-4 inches in circumference and to ply your way into the center is not an easy task without damaging the outer stalks. I'm sure that's where the larger stalks are.

Not sure what to do.
Bryan
When you shoot an arrow of truth dip it in honey.