Author Topic: Increasing draw weight.  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Weylin

Re: Increasing draw weight.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 05:38:39 pm »
Yeah, pat yourself on the back for nailing the tiller on your first bow and then start a new one. I feel for you not having a bow to shoot for hunting, that would be frustrating but I agree that this bow, as nice as it is, just isn't going to be a hunting weight bow. There's no sense in mangling it in the attempt.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 06:07:09 pm »
You can buy a hickory board for about 10 bucks and be shooting another bow in a day, two days if you want to get fancy and glue a riser on.

budget and glass bows don't usually go together. nothing wrong with a board bow.
45# at 27"

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 06:50:07 pm »
Listen to Pearl Drums       NO GLASS

I made ( messed up) 3 before i could shoot one. :'(
It's FUN     right!! ;D
Chill out about that first one. 8)
Take a breath.
Make another.  FUN FUN  :laugh: :laugh:

I put raw hide on mine,   and cut them off
Learn and move on. :P
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 09:47:18 pm »
If ya live in Northwest Pennsylvania come out and I will GIVE you a hickory stave. I have more hickory here than I could use in 10 lifetimes.  ;)
Greg.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 12:21:50 am »
Nasty, if you haven't already received enough feedback, here is another option. I noticed in your full draw pic that you are pulling nearly to your ear. If you are wanting to save and hunt with this bow, you could probably trim 2" off either end, then back it with a couple layers of sinew. This should increase the weight quite a bit, and since you are wanting to bow hunt this fall, you might try shortening your draw some.  Unless this bow started out as a board rather than a stave, it won't be very easy to try to back it with wood or bamboo now. Hope you find a solution.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 01:10:44 am »
New bowyers are God's gift to children. Give it to someone deserving and make another.
Gordon

Offline DuBois

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 04:56:16 am »
I am at this less than 2 years and I can allready see where I could have done at least one thing different and better on each bow. Kinda cool to see the progress.
I have yet to make the bow I am fully satisfied with but I seem to be learning, enjoying myself, and getting a little finer each time UNLESS I get in a hurry.
If you want to hunt you probably stand a better chance making something simple rather than trying to save what is allready questionable IMO.
Whatever you decide, Good luck.
Marco

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 06:18:14 am »
Me, I'm the adventurous type. I would lob off 2 inches off both sides. This will change the tiller. From that pic of yours, I would say re adjust your anchor point to the corner of your mouth. That will reduce the stress of the bow. If we knew what state you are in we can tell you minimum weight requirments for the bow. I'm betting you can get 40 out of that bow.
When you shorten it, the tips will be too stiff and throw your perfect tiller off. Remedy this by heat treating your inner limbs well with about an inch or two of reflex. That will bring your tiller back arounfld in shape and bring the bow weight even more. Do those two things and weigh it. I bet at 26 inches you will be close to upper 30s with weight. Then if you only need a few pounds more, cable back it. I'm very confident that witb proper treatment you will have a 40 pounder.
By the way I need to know how wide it is and how long? I swear that bow will make a 40 pounder. Willing to bet on it actually. You anywhere near tulsa?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:25:22 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 06:28:51 am »
You have had some great advice...
The problem with lopping off length, and most other tricks to gain draw weight is that you end up chasing your tail.
Yeah, you can lop some off, but you probably haven't got enough enough bows under you belt to really take advantage of what you will learn.

Or to put it another way, for every problem you solve, you will creat another one.
Be proud of your first bow, but be certain, once you've built the second, you will realise how bad the first really was.
Trust me we are all still learning.
Only a couple of days ago, I planed the bamboo backing off a bow I'd just glued up 'cos I wasn't happy with the glue line. Sometime you have to just fess up and move on. Every 'first bow' comes in under weight... that's life.
I like the advice of give it to a kid... it may inspire the next generation and keep 'em of wheelie bows (spits on floor).
The advice you get on here is generally top notch and we all need it at times.
So...
Step away from the bow and grab another stave ;D
Make sure you pull it to full target draw weight as soon as it's flexing evenly and safely.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 06:34:32 am »
You know, underweight bows make sweet target shooters to during the off season by the way. I would still cut at least an inch of to get it up to 30 lbs anyway. Thats a fine target bow if you decide not to try for 40 pounds.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others