Author Topic: "Elm Hall", the PA community bow  (Read 5655 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
"Elm Hall", the PA community bow
« on: August 21, 2013, 07:22:19 pm »
This bow started out as a walking stick blank my son Jake aand I had cut. I deemed it to big for a stick at 2" round. So at the last minute as Im packing the truck to go to the Elm Hall shoot, I decide to split it in half quickly on my bandsaw that sat right next to me. I grabbed a few rasps and a scraper and headed out. Chris (Boardhawk), Paulsemp (Tin knocker), Pappy ( Pappy), and I tore into it from time to time. Greg (Badly Bent) wanted to scrape a hinge into it, we stopped him just in time... ;D. The blank was left along side a lawn chair and tools, so anybody in the mood could grab it and continue on from whatever point it was at. In the end it was a well tillered, hard shooting little bow. I brougt it home and tempered it. I also gussied it up a bit. Its 51" long, 47 @ 25" and made from American elm I cut from the backyard, it holds about 1" of reflex. The fur around the stain transistion is muskrat hide. My only question is.....who is signing it next? We have to get all our names on it boys!

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: "Elm Hall", the PA community bow
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 07:24:34 pm »
Few more...the full draw pic is poor at best. I might try for a better one tomorrow. Sorry.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 07:28:15 pm »
Here are a few action shots.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:28:48 pm »
cool bow, i like it

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:45:28 pm »
Nice community bow.  Projects like that are awesome.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 07:53:59 pm »
that was a heck of an idea, wouldn't work here as I've never met another guy that builds bows in the flesh, i'd get it started, come back work it some more, just end up another bub bow :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:22:00 pm »
Good thing my names not on that  >:D  :laugh:

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 08:45:39 pm »
Truth be told I only took 3 passes with the scraper on it, that was all it took for me to correct what those boys screwed up on it. Then I left em' with instructions on what to do next and went back to my camp. >:D
I like the way you dressed it up Chris, looks real nice. Next year we gotta do that again and I'll get more involved with
the project. 
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Roy

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 08:46:00 pm »
Very nice...

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 08:48:10 pm »
you know it is not fair blaming Greg for that hinge you put in it! If I remember you had to call over pappy to fix your mistake. You know what I have a picture of the exact moment beardhawk called you out on it......

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:02 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 09:41:34 pm »
that was a heck of an idea, wouldn't work here as I've never met another guy that builds bows in the flesh, i'd get it started, come back work it some more, just end up another bub bow :laugh:

Well fix that bub im only a few hours away.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 09:42:15 pm »
Cool!  That is a great Idea.  Great bow came of it. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 09:50:38 pm »
SWEEEET!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 10:22:20 pm »
Can't go wrong with that bow and that much experience ganging up on it  8). Who's going to christen that stick with first blood? It would be cool to ship it from person to person who contributed to its making and harvest a deer then ship it on to the next person.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956