Author Topic: Chased a ring  (Read 2042 times)

owlbait

Chased a ring
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:16:51 pm »
one damn long year! Osage with bugs (like one of my old girlfriends) but I'm finally at one ring on the back. Do I need to seal it? I still need to deal with straightening and curing a twist. I like how about 1/3 of the bow is that nice amber brown. How do I get the rest of the bow like that?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Chased a ring
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:34:03 pm »
It will turn that color over time Owl... If its still green i would seal the back. I just use the $.50 a bottle dollar general school glue cuz it scrapes off easy later... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:49:54 pm »
Seal it with what you intend to finish it with if you have any doubts or if you take a while to finish it. Get it bow ready. Remove nicks. I use a pen knife. Sand with 100, 220, 400 and 600 grit. Don't overdo so as not to go through a ring.  Then seal it. I never stain osage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

owlbait

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:56:17 pm »
Thanks guys. I sure as heck don't want to chase another ring, besides, I'm not sure I would have enough wood left. Should I reduce it to bow dimensions before trying to straighten and de-twist?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »
I seal any newly exposed bow backs, no matter what wood it is and how seasoned it is. Spray shellac is my sealer of choice. I keep a can on my work bench all the time. It is easily remover if necessary, will accept any other finish and holds up to steam and heat.
 Yes.  Reduce your stave to floor tiller stage so you don't have so much wood to heat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 09:35:14 pm »
Jawge, thats good advice... might explain why ive had a couple finish jobs take so long to set and sometimes curdle, lol.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 10:23:21 pm »
I seal any newly exposed bow backs, no matter what wood it is and how seasoned it is. Spray shellac is my sealer of choice. I keep a can on my work bench all the time. It is easily remover if necessary, will accept any other finish and holds up to steam and heat.
 Yes.  Reduce your stave to floor tiller stage so you don't have so much wood to heat.

What Pat said.  I reseal every back with shellac when I'm done chasing a ring or if I quit for the day.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 01:14:11 am »

What Pat said.  I reseal every back with shellac when I'm done chasing a ring or if I quit for the day.

X3 it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:01:28 am »
Im a renegade. I never seal anything. But my stave are stored in a fairly controlled environment.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

owlbait

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:34:01 am »
Thanks PD. Mine are stored on an open air rack in my carport. Its been a pain (arthritis)(lack of skills) to get to the clean one ring back. Any special bow formula/dimensions you care to share?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 11:35:18 am »
Nope, figure it out teach!

Make a replica of Kevin's mulberry bow and you will be happy. Make it identical, except take 1/4" off the width.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

owlbait

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 04:26:24 pm »
Thanks PD. Guess I've gone to the well too many times. :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 04:27:54 pm »
Nah, just ribbing you.