Author Topic: Hophornbeam static recurve help  (Read 7407 times)

blackhawk

Re: Hophornbeam static recurve help
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 02:01:54 pm »
Not too mention the big difference in smoothness of draw and a lower string angle at full draw lessening stack from happening at full draw...which in my opinion equates to better accurate shooting if using proper form..trying to hold a bow with a higher string angle at anchor is tougher to hold steady for a second before your release...and a smoother more effortless draw to get to anchor makes it easier for me to maintain a steady pull to my anchor....unless shooting a straight 76" bow..lol..but you can get the same advantages by lessening the length and recurving the tips...but theres a lot of ways to got about achieving this in a bow other than recurving the tips as well...

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 02:13:59 pm »
As I've read the static non working recurve a act more like a lever storing the compression in the limb. Once released the snap back faster giving a better and faster cast. I've read about 45# statics shooting almost 280fps. And yes, they look totally bad ass. It's the performance I'm after, in a sexy package. Lol I want to our brush nocks on it. I saw this one bow with them and could t shake it. I really do appreciate all your help. Also appreciate the criticism.

So 1 3/4" wide till mid limb and taper?
Working handle?
Anything else n e one wants to add?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 02:18:14 pm »
Sounds good to me, Id go at least 64" ntn.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »
Ill make it 70" then recurve the tips. And then it'll be around there. Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna go for it. Wish me luck. And ill post some pics along the journey so u can tell me how crappy it looks  ;)

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:46 pm »
As I've read the static non working recurve a act more like a lever storing the compression in the limb. Once released the snap back faster giving a better and faster cast. I've read about 45# statics shooting almost 280fps. And yes, they look totally bad ass. It's the performance I'm after, in a sexy package. Lol I want to our brush nocks on it. I saw this one bow with them and could t shake it. I really do appreciate all your help. Also appreciate the criticism.

Working handle?

Good luck getting it to shoot even 180 fps... Wherever you read 280 was complete BS.

Jon

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 08:00:13 pm »

Working handle?

Good luck getting it to shoot even 180 fps... Wherever you read 280 was complete BS.

Jon

Agreed on that That's compound speed right there
I like osage

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:48 pm »
So u guys may have talked me outta it. Lol. I don't wanna waste this stave. And now I'm second guessing myself. What would be an easier design to make? Looking for around same weight and draw as before. I'm my own worste enemy

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 10:28:17 pm »
Definitely what Blackhawk and Pearl said, I've seen there bows and have made several static's by Pearl's design (quart can)  ;)  Thanks Pearl
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 11:45:11 pm »
you have enough in That hhb for a few Bows IMHO I would go for what you want for the experience but I would probably go for one 66 to 68 inches 8" handle fade section around one and three quarters inches Wide to mid limb taper to just shy of 1/2 inch on the tips...finish them both up and see which one you like better but you need to make sure its real dry or you end up with a bunch of set, too much width like Pappy said and you will crush the belly that's just my two cents worth good luck have fun post your progress ;)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:08:27 am by soy »
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2013, 12:08:41 am »
Thanks a lot man. I'm gonna give it a whirl. Who bows what it's gonna be. Lol it'll come when I start seeing a bow. Lol Ill keep tad posted.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 01:03:00 pm »
I'm expert in this by any means but I do have a bunch of years at being hard headed (just ask my wife)! I think soy nailed it, do what you want to do, you won't be happy until you try. And if you fail just make sure you learned something from it. After I saw things break for myself and thought it through that's when the advice of these truly experienced guys started making sence to me. I wasted a lot of wood I guess but I learned a lot and actually I still had a good time doing it. Just my two cents....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 01:09:47 pm »
Ill never talk anybody out of any build. Im telling you from experience bending statics in a bow can be done by anybody. Steaming tips for an hour and crossing your fingers can be done by ANYBODY. I have some crack still. Its not experience that prevents cracks, its luck.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 01:13:48 pm »
PD's made a bunch of em.I think if ya deflex the handle slightly,slightly reflex the limbs,with your 4" static I'd be confident to do it on a 62" bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 01:23:18 pm »
Blaflair2.....I've got two ironwood staves that look exactly like yours width wise and degree of crown.I'm gonna start at 1and7/8" wide at fades to a little past midlimb then to 3/4" wide 6" from the tip.Trim the tips down width wise after you get it tillered.I'd put horn overlays on it too.Just my opinion.Leave a little more wood on the belly of your static before you bend it and round your corners well.You may know this already but I said it anyway.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 01:27:38 pm »
Well heck then...chop that baby down to 36" and prepare and glue 10" siyahs onto it,then put some horn on the belly,and sinew that bad boy drawing it into tip touching reflex....and good luck  >:D