Author Topic: Places to shoot warbows  (Read 8052 times)

Offline WillS

Re: Places to shoot warbows
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 12:21:32 pm »
Might have to pop up to Oxford to see my old folks soon, so will find out when and let Del know.  Would suit a trip to Cambridge nicely.  Might even row ;)

Offline Marks

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 12:27:01 pm »
And that is why everyone here in the US is so adamant about our freedoms and gun laws and such. There is a lot more wooded areas here where I'm from than JWs area but I can think of dozens of places I could go fling some arrows into the air if I was into that kinda thing. Biggest problem here is a lot of our ground is rocky. It doesn't hurt that my dad is a farmer ;).

God Bless the USA!!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 12:57:30 pm »
Hey Del, give me a shout on this if your buddy wants to line something up for a days shooting, be happy to join the pair of you and share driving/arrow caddy duties  ;) JayTee
Hi there JT.
Yeah, I'm thinking long term (next year) we could get some of the guys over there, make a day of it once I've made you that 120# warbow. Maybe I'll make myself something with a 32" draw, got some skiny Yew poles with thin sapwood that might make something special.
All of a sudden I've got 3 bows on the go! I've taken a bit more of your one, but I'm not going to rush it... boken too makny this year ;)
Del
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:11:40 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline uklongbow

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 05:17:48 pm »
Hi Del, Sorry to hear you're having troubles with the authorities :( , I swear its getting worse over here.
I did have an idea for getting hold of Yew that might work.
Have you tried contacting the local churches and find out who they get to do their tree pruning ?
Chances are that there are a few guys that do all the churches local, get hold of them , and with the promise
of beer/cigs or money (as a last resort ) might be able to get you some yew.
Just a thought .
Good luck
Roger

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 06:13:44 pm »
Hi Del, Sorry to hear you're having troubles with the authorities :( , I swear its getting worse over here.
I did have an idea for getting hold of Yew that might work.
Have you tried contacting the local churches and find out who they get to do their tree pruning ?
Chances are that there are a few guys that do all the churches local, get hold of them , and with the promise
of beer/cigs or money (as a last resort ) might be able to get you some yew.
Just a thought .
Good luck
Roger
Hi, cheers, I've built up some good contacts for Yew. The problem is often getting peole to even listen. On the other hand some people love the idea of a longbow made from their tree.... It's a bit like asking girls for a date, you need a thick skin, and just keep on askin' ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16:20 pm »
Forgot about this thread until just now.  Funnily enough, after all the difficulties trying to do it properly, I ended up going to a farm just down the road and the farmer had no issues at all.  So now I have a 300 yard field to chuck arrows down anytime I want.  Bootiful.

On the subject of sourcing yew here in the UK, I've found the best way to go about it is find people who sell wood-turning materials.  Yew is used very often due to it's colour and sap/heart boundary and if you ask them if they have any bigger bits they haven't yet chopped up they tend to say yes.  It's also a very good idea never to mention how hard it is to find.  I learned that the hard way, and had to pay too much for some yew logs.  Handled carefully, you can either pick them up for free or a fiver if you're friendly enough.

Never had much luck with churchyard yew.  It grows very crooked and quite often now the yew trees found in churches are fast-grown landscape yew which is pretty rubbish quality, especially if you're building warbows.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2013, 09:15:41 pm »
So this means you aren't popping over to France?  They will be glad to hear that.

Congratulations on your new place to shoot.  Like any fine motor skill, archery is something you just have to practice regularly to improve.  Glad it worked out for you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 01:51:24 pm »

One farmer I contacted a good while back actually decided to get in touch with the local council because he was worried I might succeed, and the "Head Officer For Parks And Open Spaces" contacted me telling me to stop asking land owners to let me partake in a dangerous activity without proper consultancy from local authorities!!

What a muppet. That farmer needs a hobby, maybe bow making.

Offline Peter-t123

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 05:54:43 pm »
you should have come to the shoot last week m8

Offline WillS

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 07:31:17 pm »
Would have done, but I just couldn't get across to Kent by the Saturday morning.  Will be at the next one though!

Offline Peter-t123

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 09:10:39 pm »
ok br0, i added you on facebook btw