Author Topic: Places to shoot warbows  (Read 8053 times)

Offline WillS

Places to shoot warbows
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:27:55 am »
Just a quick question to anybody who shoots warbows regularly - how do you go about finding suitable land to shoot on?  I don't know how different it is across the pond, but here in the UK I'm finding it so difficult to get permission to use a warbow anywhere.

I'm part of the EWBS society (just recently) and will be going along to the Society shoots of course, but there aren't that many and they're all a long way from where I live (South Coast UK) so if anybody has any tips on how to approach land owners etc to get practice in between official shoots, that would be very appreciated!

Offline adb

Re: Places to shoot warbows
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:14:07 pm »
Pretty easy here in the Colonies. Lots of empty farmland. I try and pick cut hay fields to avoid losing arrows, and the farmers I ask just laugh and say go ahead. If the land isn't fenced or posted, it's legal to access (including hunting) on foot. It's also easier to ask forgiveness, than to seek permission.  8)

Offline WillS

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 12:38:50 pm »
I'm in the wrong country! The farmers I've asked so far have asked for insurance, paperwork, informed me that "Health And Safety Officers" will have to inspect the equipment for potential hazards and that I can't shoot in their fields in case an arrow gets caught in some cutting machinery and creates an expensive accident...

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 03:23:04 pm »
Good grief. Things have gone to hell in a hand basket over there in the UK! You're not shooting a 50BMG sniper rifle for Chrise sakes! Maybe if you shot safely and the guy watched you, he might feel better. Insurance? For What? And isn't your equipment shot at your own risk? Sounds very 'Nanny State' attitude to me. That's too bad.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 03:31:23 pm »
Couldn't agree more! It's a total nightmare.  Closest I've got so far is having to join a local target archery club, but even then the conditions would be to shoot 6 arrows, then wait for them to do their rounds of targets before walking up and collecting the arrows.

Have to keep plugging away at farmers I suppose!

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 03:36:29 pm »
Any rural family?

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 03:52:35 pm »
Sadly no, at least not anywhere near enough to be of use.  I do have family in Canada though...

The trouble I'm finding here is that in order to get somebody who owns land even remotely interested, you have to pile on the "historical interest" stuff so that it appears to be of benefit to "the community" as compared to letting somebody spend a couple hours chucking some arrows down an empty field. 

One farmer I contacted a good while back actually decided to get in touch with the local council because he was worried I might succeed, and the "Head Officer For Parks And Open Spaces" contacted me telling me to stop asking land owners to let me partake in a dangerous activity without proper consultancy from local authorities!!

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 04:23:13 pm »
Good grief. We just head out to an empty hay field and have at it. Anybody that sees us just beeps and waves.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 04:35:30 pm »
I feel bad for you here in the US it's rare to ever get a no if I ask if I can go back into someone woods near there house to harvest wood or shoot I've never been turned down
I like osage

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 12:25:07 am »
As I understand it, it is quite proper and traditional to hop over the channel and shoot in France.   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 07:22:48 am »
Yeah it's Ok for you guys in the huge North American continent.
You have to remember that the Uk is only the size of Centra Park ;)
In the Uk I think you'd be relatively ok on farmland once the corn (that's wheat to you colonials  O:) ) has been cut, especially if there is a public right of way. Or on common land.
Of course you need to watch out for people, dogs, sufficent overshoot etc.
To satisfy the legal question of sufficient reason to be there you can show your EWBS or NFAS memebership etc and say you are testing a bow... look officer I've only brought 3 arrows O:)
On the rare occasions I do it, I generally take very few arrows and immediately unbrace and pack up if I see people. I suspect the average policeman would be interested rather than stroppy as long as you approach him in a friendly manner. I find that approaching someone can often defuse the potential confontation.
If you think shooting is tough, try persuading some old biddy that you want a limb off her Yew tree and you are not either a con man or a mad chainsaw weilding psychopath >:(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 05:13:41 pm »

If you think shooting is tough, try persuading some old biddy that you want a limb off her Yew tree and you are not a con man, just a mad chainsaw weilding psychopath >:(
Del

Sorry about taking the liberty of editing your post without permission, but I only changed one word to make your statement more clear.  *wicked grin*

Out here in the West, we have some great opportunities, what with the large tracts of public land.  For example, the Black Hills National Forest is close to 1.3 million acres of public access.  And there is twice that much land tied up in National Grasslands.  So long as you are not dropping pointy feathered sticks into a herd of cattle grazing under temporary grazing permits, it's all good!

WillS, ever consider combining practicing your long range archery with a trip to South Dakota and a pronghorn antelope hunt all in one?  I know this guy....
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline WillS

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 07:06:30 pm »
That sounds ace.  I'll be there in 10 mins.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 12:18:31 pm »
I just had a visit from a farmer who wants me to make hime a bow... he has plenty of room to shoot, unfortunately it's a bit far for you. Just North of Cambridge. Maybe we could have a shooting day there sometime tho'
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:19:59 am »
Hey Del, give me a shout on this if your buddy wants to line something up for a days shooting, be happy to join the pair of you and share driving/arrow caddy duties  ;) JayTee
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara