Author Topic: any gunstock makers out there?(pics of gun added)  (Read 10076 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: any gunstock makers out there?(pics of gun added)
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »
Pop the barrels of and try to get a pic of the proof marks on the underside of them !!
I would do it for you steve but I am not in good shape to do it maybe Dave Berlett has time ! I can't seem to find his number right now ! Sorry
He is north of you a bit but with in driving distance. Pm me !

Jw what size barrels you looking for , there was some around here ,if I did not all ready get rid of them and forgot , let me do some digging! Better PM me before I forget you wanted some !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline seabass

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 10:32:15 pm »
Guy,it has a lot of numbers and marks under the forestock.the problem is I can't find a good place to look them up.i just got the gun a couple of days ago,so I am just getting started on my research.i didn't know you was a stock maker.i hope you get to feeling better buddy.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 08:07:18 am »
Can you get the marks to show up in a pic ?
I want to see them !
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Stoker

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 10:40:55 am »
That will be one fine shotty..nothing like shooting peasents with a sxs..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 04:18:06 pm »
That will be one fine shotty..nothing like shooting peasents with a sxs..
Thanks Leroy

PHEASANTS!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 05:32:08 pm »
That's what I meant JW..Didn't mean to offend the non-royality class..Wuz da thurd graed spilling chumpine....
Thanks Leroy
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:39:10 pm by Stoker »
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline seabass

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 05:51:35 pm »
Guy ,the marks were to small to get a good pic..there is a bird,a crown over a U,a crown over a W on one barrel,a 16 inside a circle and an 18/1.serial #14302.here is a pic of how the marks lay on the underside of the barrels.just to clarify,all marks are on both barrels except one barrel also has a crown over the W.one site said that the crown over the W meant that the gun was a drilling and the rifle barrel was converted to a shotgun barrel.any info would be helpful brother.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 12:08:39 am »
I thought a drilling was a double barrel over a rifle barrel...three barrels in one gun.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 12:57:02 am »
     A Drilling is a rifle under a double barrel shotgun.  You can't convert a rifle barrel to a shotgun barrel!  Unless you talking smaller than a .410 ! You could replace a rifle barrel though. ;)  Most of the Drilling rifles were chambered for a 9mm rifle cartridge, or 7, or 8 mm.  I forget the correct designations for those calibers.  as for stocks contact Pachmayer .  I believe you can still get fancy grade french walnut shotgun butt stock blanks from Dixie Arms.  I don't know what Pachmayer will charge, but I doubt it will be cheap.  But if you want to do honor to a fine piece of old world craftsmanship, then that would be the route to go.  When I was in Italy, I was in a small gun shop, and admiring the beautiful shotguns this guy and his Dad made.  The Bluing was just phemoninal!  He had a beautiful .410 side by side with hammers.  I almost bought it!  But I was in the army, and at $105.00 a month, I couldn't afford much! But I got to talking to the guy, and he was showing me some of the guns he was building in the back of the shop, and some he was repairing, and he showed me a beautiful side by side 12 gauge, and asked if I knew of Pachmayer, and I said yes, he said well he made guns for him, and showed me an order form from Pachmayer, and in fact this was one that Pachmayer, had stocked!  Check them out and see if they will make a stock for it.  If it was made in the 20's, it should handle smokeless powder.  Are the chambers able to accept a modern 16 gauge shell?
Or are they the shorter shell?  Some of the late 1800, and early 1900's on 12 gauges at least had a 2 1/2 inch chamber.  But check with Pachmayer, and see what they say, or suggest.  Also check out Imperial, and Bishop.  Or just Google gun stock makers, there a bunch!  Good luck.  Beautiful find! 8) 8)  You sound like Eddie and his flea market finds! ;) ::)

Wayne
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:13:07 am by stickbender »

Offline seabass

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 06:35:24 am »
Wayne,one site said that he made a side by side rifle shotgun combo.and the barrel with the crown over the W was drilled out and sleeved to 16guage.i have looked and this doesn't seem to be the case.i wonder why only one barrel has the crown over the W.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: any gun stock makers out there?(pics of gun added)
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2013, 10:26:18 am »
The first thing I would do is find a picture of a similar gun and see what the butt stock is supposed to look like, shape, checkering, buttplate design etc. Next, I would have someone with the know how measure you for the correct length of pull and drop and possibly cast off. Finally, I would be spending the cash to send the gun to a top notch gunsmith for correct restocking to your measurements. Don't scrimp on the quality of the wood you restock it with. The saying among us gun builders is " you will never regret spending more money on a fancier piece of wood than you initially planned to use". One might regret going plain Jane on your wood later after you have invested hundreds of hours in a build.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:30:39 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 11:31:52 am »
The proof marks are not what I expected and a little confusing to me as they are a bit different than what I normally see ! Perhaps it is a bit more up scale than this backwoods country boy is used to !!
The type of crowns you have drawn are British looking but normally would have a V not a U under them . The U could be a mark for Unfinished barrels that where shipped to a different country for assembly I suppose .
The large bird looking mark look West German but they usually have a Sp , V, or a J under them so we may have to do a little more studding for the answer to this riddle !

At any rate these type of marks seem to me to indicate a fairly good chance this is worth the money to restock and not just a extra good hardware store bought gun !
So now you have my interest up and I hope we find your answers soon !
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 12:52:06 pm »
I have a wedding to deal with this weekend so no time to help out , Sorry would rather help you !
Try the forum at doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php  or the one at shotgun world.com

From a quick search seems Carl juts handled orders for other folks but the orders were high enough end that his name meant more than a hardware store name !
Most of the guns were built by Suhl or Zella Mehlis , some by F. W. Kebler but I am sure FW guns were not of this type action ! so try the other two names along with what is on your gun !
Have fun with your search ! I think it will be a long and winding path with plenty of switchbacks but may well be worth the time !

Let me know how it goes !!!
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline seabass

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2013, 04:07:55 pm »
I will keep you updated Guy.it has been a tough research thus far.Carl Stiegele did get guns from other makers.he would not let them use their own marks so he could put on his own.his guns where made by very fine German gun builders.he delt with royalty and very wealthy clientel.i believe the 18/1 means it was made January 1st 1918,but I am not sure about that.i guess the search continues.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline seabass

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 04:18:57 pm »
Eric,i forgot to add that I am going to have a pro do the restoration.i think this gun deserves it.i have seen a few similar guns by this maker going for 2,500 dollars,but the where not as old as this one.they were hammerless.i believe this one may be worth a little something.not that I would ever sell it.this is my second oldest gun.i also have an 1816 springfield musket that was converted in 1835 from flintlock to percussion.i do love old guns.
Middletown,Ohio