Author Topic: Oh, look! Twins!  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Oh, look! Twins!
« on: August 12, 2013, 07:40:43 pm »
Well, not really... I had posted earlier today that I just finished 2 pyramid bows, one 34# @ 26" for my wife, and one 62# @ 28" for me, for hunting. Well, I don't have the greatest camera, and shadow and blur make the side bend views look thicker than they actually are, but I think they turned out well. They're accurate and FAST!

Both bows are red oak

34#@26"
66" NTN
4 1/2" long handle, 2" long fades
2" wide at fades, 1/2" wide at nocks
15/32" thick limbs

60#@28"
62" NTN
4 1/2" long handle, 1 3/4" long fades
2 1/2" wide at fades, 5/8" wide at nocks
1/2" thick limbs

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:08:58 pm by hlstanley »
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Oh, look! Twins!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:57:58 pm »
Nice looking twins. Have ya named them yet?  :)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:15:38 pm »
Names? Naaaaaaaaah... They can sure send arrows with authority, but they ain't pretty enough to deserve names... Maybe, just maybe if they can put blood on an arrow this October, I'll think of something.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:18:41 pm »
They look nice Oooohhh one @ 60@  quite stiff but I'll take it... :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:39:28 am »
They look nice Oooohhh one @ 60@  quite stiff but I'll take it... :o

I think I see what you mean...  What if I started about a foot from the nocks and started tapering the thickness down a bit to give the tips a little more flex?

Maybe on the next bow, I can taper the whole length of the bow from 1/2" at the grip to maybe 15/32" at the nocks. I know these pyramid bows are supposed to have consistent thickness throughout the length of the limb, but reality and theory are two different things...  Would that also help reduce the 1 1/2" set?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:16:02 am »
Those tillers are perfect, cant ask for anything more.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:02:56 am »
Those are some hot twins!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:56:30 am »
Those are both very solid, no nonsense bows. Nicely profiled, with good tiller to match. Well done! I'm guessing the first full draw pic is your bow? If that was mine, I'd have made the tiller just a wee bit rounder, especially at the tips, as a pyramid profile really excels with a more round tiller shape.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:59:43 am by adb »

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 11:10:55 am »
Well done! Those are nice.. I really like that style of bow, no nonsense & dependable... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:14 pm »
Those are both very solid, no nonsense bows. Nicely profiled, with good tiller to match. Well done! I'm guessing the first full draw pic is your bow? If that was mine, I'd have made the tiller just a wee bit rounder, especially at the tips, as a pyramid profile really excels with a more round tiller shape.

The second full draw pic is the 60 pounder. I like how this one shoots, so I think I'll keep the tiller a bit stiff, but my next bow (hopefully somewhere in the 40-45 pound range) I'm going to taper down the thickness in the last foot or so of the limb. That will allow the portion of the bow that is the most stiff to flex just a bit.

I like stiff tips becasue it seems to give the bow a bit more flick, but by making them bend just a hair at the tips reduces stresses nearer the handle and can cut down on set. I don't mind set, but I do like the look of bows that lie flat when unstrung, and I've only got one that does that. Look at the top bow hanging on the wall behind me - that's a bamboo backed hickory flatbow at 55 pounds, but even with no set, it doesn't shoot near as fast as my 60 pound pyramid bow with stiff tips and almost 2" of set.

I guess it's all in the eye of the beerholder... er... I mean, beholder.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 01:12:38 pm »
I leave a bit more length stiff on my tips than the "norm" as well. Generally 8-9" rather than the standard 4-6", regardless of profile.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 01:15:11 pm »
Nice twins