Author Topic: Planning a Mollegabet board bow...planning.  (Read 6408 times)

Offline HighlandRanger

Planning a Mollegabet board bow...planning.
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:46:19 pm »
OK, so I am in the planning stages of making my first real board bow. I made a practice mollegabet build a few months ago that turned out ok that was made out of a red oak board. This time I am looking at making one out of a hickory board.

I just have a couple of questions.

When I'm done with this I would like to have it for hunting with about a #60@28"

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Offline HighlandRanger

Re: Planning a Mollegabet board bow...planning.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:59:25 pm »
Anyone have any input? Would really appreciate it! :)

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:17:19 pm »
I haven't made alot of bows. Only up to 12 so far. I have made a couple of molly type bows. They are tricky to tiller. If you are new to building a self bow I suggest a pyramid design or parallel limbs to mid point then taper to half inch nocks. You might have a better time with those styles.
There are others who have made many more bows and will chime in I would imagine.
Greg

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:34:16 pm »
I am actually pretty set on doing a molly. I have never been one to start easy. :) That being said, any answers or suggestions to my questions above?

Thanks

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:38:13 pm »
I havent built a molly yet but have some of the same questions you do... On a side note, im not sure a recurved molly is a "hybred"... I was just visiting the Greyson Collection today and saw an ancient recurve molly on display. It did have light carving on the back and i would geuss the limbs to be almost 5" wide. They are currently changing their displays and had not put the info up for that bow yet so i dont know full details yet... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:41:37 pm »
You first link up there, half eye answered how he did the carving
I like osage

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 11:03:07 pm »
If your dead set on it,then just make your first few being straight without reflexed/curved levers..but what do I know about a molly  ???  ::)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:21:20 pm »
I totally understand just wanting to go for it. But don't just dismiss the knowledge of everyone on this site. Just my $.02
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 12:08:58 am »
Sorry, I didn't mean to just dismiss anyone. I am sorry if I came across as such.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 02:40:58 am »
You are looking for perfectly straight grain if you want the bow to be unbacked.
If the grain isn't the best then back it with some rawhide first.
The best bet is to keep it straight to begin with and forget about adding any reflex.
Learning how to tiller full stop is the hard thing. Once you understand the process and that as wood gets thinner it can and should be bending more are the things that take a awhile to sink in. However once you understand then any bow is the same to tiller.
BH - why do you keep saying but what do I know? Everyone understands you can make a good molly. This chap could obviously learn a lot from your advise. False modesty n all that? ;)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 09:11:07 am »
I know there are several guys on here that have made successful mollys including Half Eye and Blackhawk. For my first successful one I followed ADBs holmgard build a long which has very detailed step by step instructions. My first one out of red oak wasn't successful, but my second with rawhide backed white oak was. He uses osage in the build a long and the dimensions for white wood are a little different. You can pm him for details on building with white wood or I will be glad to share mine with you. His build a long is at this link. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=5129.0

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:07:04 pm »
Thanks for the info everyone. That is some great advice. I am starting to put together some ideas and will post as I progress.

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 12:17:02 pm »
If I make the bow from hickory, then what would be a good backing to pair up with it?

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 12:21:21 pm »
Since its your first bow and first molly I would go 68" ntn...2" wide parallel limbs up to the levers.8" handle/fade section..and make the levers a third of the total limb length(counting from where the limb starts working..ie the fade to tip) which in your case would be 30" long per individual limb total length..and make the levers 10" long.....its a lil overbuilt but your first dozen or so bows need to be started with overbuilt intentions until you get better at tillering etc....and that should get you your intended stats.

If your hickory is chosen wisely with good enough grain it don't need a backing...but if ya must rawhide would be the best for you and your experience level(None) IMO...

Offline HighlandRanger

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 12:42:55 pm »
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it... looking at maybe getting started this weekend! My 14yo son is also excited, so we may do a co-build. Each of us building a bow at the same time. :)

Since its your first bow and first molly I would go 68" ntn...2" wide parallel limbs up to the levers.8" handle/fade section..and make the levers a third of the total limb length(counting from where the limb starts working..ie the fade to tip) which in your case would be 30" long per individual limb total length..and make the levers 10" long.....its a lil overbuilt but your first dozen or so bows need to be started with overbuilt intentions until you get better at tillering etc....and that should get you your intended stats.

If your hickory is chosen wisely with good enough grain it don't need a backing...but if ya must rawhide would be the best for you and your experience level(None) IMO...