Author Topic: Bone Fish Hook pendants - Maori - form and function  (Read 3949 times)

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
Bone Fish Hook pendants - Maori - form and function
« on: August 10, 2013, 06:14:14 pm »
Hey all as the title states I've been looking at the whole fad of Hawaiian Bone Hook Pendants - and I know that it is in fact a tradition of the Maori people by doing my research.

Now I'm looking into these and can't help but see that while a lot of the newer modern style ones are decidedly non functional as actual hooks, a LOT of the older ones seemed to be made not only to be pleasing to the eye but also functional as well.

In truth I don't know if this is true as I have no idea as to what species of fish they generally catch in Hawaiian islands, but I gotta admit - its got me curious and I most definitely now plan to carry one around my neck that is functional.

for those curious - heres some examples of the art.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:50:59 pm by Tetsuoh »
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Bone Fish Hook pendants - Maori - form and function
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:21:59 pm »
I like those also.  I have a tattoo of one on my chest.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:20:02 am »
Very nice work.Beautiful. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:26:49 pm »
You are right, most of what you see these days are highly stylized, not really intended to fish with.

I'm sure in your research you've also read that the pendants are said to give protection on water.  I'm not superstitious at all, but I wear one anyway :)

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 12:04:11 am »

Yeah they were used by Moari men who went on hunting/fishing trips on the water.

And were often made of whale bone as that was a highly spiritual animal to their people.

I also read that most often they were made by a loved one to keep the person safe and that losing one was considered a bad omen for the next trip on the water.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."