Author Topic: Many bows  (Read 2761 times)

Don Case

Many bows
« on: August 10, 2013, 01:42:11 pm »
I was just reading over on the "Set" thread and saw how many bows you guys make. 50 in a year-Wow  With the number of members on this site and the number of sites I'm amazed we're not tripping over bows. What do you do with all of them?
Don

Offline twisted hickory

Re: Many bows
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »
I just started in December of last year. Right now I am up to 8. By Christmas I will have 7 more finished. The last 7 are all Christmas presents for family members.....Its an addiction of which I don't want a cure for  :) Hunting season is just around the corner so I will be putting the bows away for a while.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 02:08:20 pm »
Don you obviously don't understand what a compulsive disorder bow making is :D How many is too many anyway? My wife seems to have a number in her head though.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 02:17:25 pm »
I just started getting into my latest batch of 80 dry staves, and I've been pumping out two tillered, ready-to-finish bows a week.

I obviously have too much time on my hands  :P
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 02:19:52 pm »
Never to many bows  >:D
I like osage

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 02:27:54 pm »
Mine too JonW. Every time I have started a new bow, which is usually after just finishing the last one, she asks how many bows I need. I point out the collection of shoes she has in our closet and ask if she's done. She's in Kerrville now getting a new pair of shoes, I'm splitting a some Pecan. 30 years come September. 👠
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:31:12 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 03:00:47 pm »
Since 2006, I stopped counting the number of bows I've made after 300. I sell about 8-10 a year on a custom order basis off my website, and give away that many (or more) as well. I get way more pleasure giving away bows than selling them! I'm also including the bows people make in my workshops (currently 42). Right now, I currently have 18 personal bows on the wrack, and not one I would part with. Yikes. My wife thinks I'm nuts.  8)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 03:05:47 pm by adb »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 03:19:16 pm »
I make around 4-6 a year.  Seems like almost all of them leave home and find a new owner.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 03:34:30 pm »
I made more last year than I ever have in one year at 9 bows. That's a small number compared to what some are doing, but a bunch for me. One of those I actually finished early this year and one I helped a guy make. Not sure I will finish that many this year. 6 or so Lord willin.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 04:08:03 pm »
I've decided to be more picky about the bows i make nowadays, right now i'm on the journey to make a new #1 so that's been slowing down production :P But i have a lotta crappy ones i would gladly get rid of.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 06:11:15 pm »
I've decided to be more picky about the bows i make nowadays, right now i'm on the journey to make a new #1 so that's been slowing down production :P But i have a lotta crappy ones i would gladly get rid of.

If they're good, safe bows, give 'em away! There's great joy in seeing the look on someone's face when you give them a bow outta the blue.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 07:02:48 pm »
I make around 4-6 a year.  Seems like almost all of them leave home and find a new owner.

+1 I make around 3-4 and keep one only if I really like it.

Jon

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 07:33:44 pm »
I just started and I only hope to make 1 bow a year lol. Let alone 50. I'm looking for a bow to hunt with. So if anyone has one of their many bows collecting dust maybe we could work something out. I make knives and have some hardwoods for trade. Thanks guys. I can't believe u can crank bows out that fast!
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline AH

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 08:25:30 pm »
I've so far made about 20-odd bows, no idea what exact number. I started last year, so nowhere near 50 a year, but I wouldn't mind having the time to make that many  :D

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 09:19:07 pm »
I give most of them away
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹