Author Topic: information about burgundian/swiss bow  (Read 2174 times)

Offline lonbow

information about burgundian/swiss bow
« on: August 07, 2013, 11:56:18 am »
Hi,
My name is David and I live near Nuremberg in Germany. I´m doing archery since a view years and I´ve also made a couple bows of hickory, ash, hornbearm, osage and laburnum. My biggest wish is making a burgundian/swiss bow of laburnum.

There is one wooden burgundian bow exposed in the "germanisches Nationalmuseum" of Nuremberg which originaly came from Schloss Hohenaschau. It is made of laburnum which looks a bit simular to yew because it also has sap- and heartwood. The bow has a reflex in the handle area and the last 10cm before the tips are also slightly reflex. The tips which hold the sinew are made of antler or ivory and they are nicely carved. Both limbs have a pentagonal shape which are grooved around each edge.
The broadness of the bow is 33mm in the handle area and 13mm at both tips.
According to Holger Riesch, the bow was made in about 1480, but there are also people who believe that it was made during the 16th century.
In the armory inventories of 1530, there are three bows mentioned, which belonged to Schloss Hohenaschau. Two of the bows were made of yew and the third bow is labeled as "alter Pogen", which could be the Hohenaschaubogen.
There are more similar bows from the 17-19th century that mostly come from France or Swizerland. Two bows from Lyon are exposed in Munich.

Does anyone know more about the "Hohenaschaubogen" and other burgundian bows? I´m especially interested in these bows of the 15th century.

Thank you,
David

« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:08:30 pm by lonbow »

Offline Stefan

Re: information about burgundian/swiss bow
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 01:45:49 pm »
Seems like you have already done some research. They are certainly good looking bows!

Maybe you are able to contact the museum, if you tell them you want to build a replica they might give you more information or point you in the right direction.

What kind of info are you looking for? If you want to build a replica and you have seen the real bow What more do you want to know....I found information on the Fletcher corner (German site) but I guess you already found it using google.

Please post the result if you go and make on of these bows..

Greetings Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:54 pm »
If you don't already know of him you should contact Blaise Fontannaz. He has a website. I think he is Swiss and has made reproductions of them. He is an incredibly skilled bowyer. The bows are quite sophisticated in the design of the limbs, changing in cross section, at various points. I have always wanted to try making one, just haven't got around to it yet. Good luck.
                 Hamish.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 04:49:00 am »
Good luck.
Labernum is a fantastic wood that doesn't just look like yew but behaves almost exactly the same in a bow sense.