Author Topic: Buying an Old Bear Recurve -- OK?  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Greebe

Buying an Old Bear Recurve -- OK?
« on: July 31, 2013, 12:34:02 am »
I went into an antique store a while back and found a Bear recurve bow that looked like a Grizzly if I remember correctly.   It looked to be in good condition and was only about $75  However it was strung and there is no telling if it was strung to stick on the rack or has been that way its whole life.

So the question is should I buy it or not?  I have read that the laminate glass bows are not affected by being left strung.  In fact I have met archers who have left their bows that way for 30 years and said that they had not had problems.  However it does make me a bit nervous and would be afraid that it could break on me.  Is it worth the chance?  Should I go back to the store and draw it a few time and see what happens?

I am going back there tommorow, and it is in the next town over so if you guys could chime in that would be very much appreciated so I know what I should do.

Thanks.
Greebe

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Buying an Old Bear Recurve -- OK?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:00:14 am »
I hunted with a bear grizzly and it was loud but it did get me my first deer with a bow.
I would ask to take it off the wall and put a couple arrows through it.
Clatskanie, Oregon

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 04:13:20 am »
I hunted with a bear grizzly and it was loud but it did get me my first deer with a bow.
I would ask to take it off the wall and put a couple arrows through it.
It's going to be a csae of suck it and see. It may last another 30 years or it may not. Just check all the gluelines throughly, make sure it isn't warped etc
I can't get away with the noise of bows like that either!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 11:49:00 am »
The noise is unbearable, I'm glad mine broke and I moved on to stealthy selfbows :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline smoke

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:56:42 am »
I would see if the guy will let you shoot it a couple of times.  I picked up an old glass bow that appeared to be fine but it blew up the first time I tried to string it. 

Offline Greebe

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 02:46:22 pm »
Well I went out to the shop along with some arrows and a target, but the bow was gone.  So I went over to Lowes and picked up a pretty nice piece of red oak and am going to make a flatbow / pyramid bow.  Probably better not to mess with an old bow anyways.  Thanks for the comments. -- Greebe

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:04:21 pm »

That sucks! It was a good price for the bow. All you have to do next time you see one is pull it back and see what the string alignment looks like in reference to the nocks. If the limbs are a little crooked I'll take it off your hands ::) ;). The Grizzly is a very good shooting, economical bow. If it's noisy the brace height is not right or the arrow spline you are shooting is wrong. Most of the Bears have a brace height around 7 1/4- 8". You have to play with it till you find the sweet spot.

Usually when one blows it's because it was stored in a hot environment (rolled up truck), not because it was left strung. I've had some of mine strung for years.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 05:12:25 pm »
that was a good price.i love my old Bear bows.i bought my first at eight years old.i still bow fish with it today.it has never let me down.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline DavidV

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 05:28:41 pm »
Wow, shoulda jumped on that, my '72 Grizzly is my number one shooter and I leave it strung year round. Haven't had noise problems since I got the brace height just right and i shoot pretty heavy arrows.
Springfield, MO

Offline sonny

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 07:58:59 pm »
I love shooting my old Bear Grizzly...and it ain't loud.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Greebe

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 10:38:50 pm »
Yep too bad.  Thanks for rubbing it in.   >:D

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:32 pm »
I found one in an antique shop several years ago. Guy wanted 75 and I told my wife was going to walk around and to ask the guy if he would take 50. When I came back around my wife said, Honey I bought you a bow. It is quiet and very accurate, one of my favorite recurves. You missed out on that deal for sure.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 03:11:51 am »

Ditto to what Mullet said.  I have a Grizzly I got for Christmas, in the late sixties, or early 70's, and love it.  Very fast shooting little bow.  That was a good deal.  And I am sure you could have dickered a bit, and got it a bit lower.  But then again in an atique shop...... Buuuut, it was priced at $75.00, which is way below what it is worth....... sooooo,.......but alas it is gone.  But keep your eye open.  You may wander into the twilight zone again....... ;D   Maybe..... ::)

Wayne