Author Topic: Quick reference for bow woods.  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
Quick reference for bow woods.
« on: July 27, 2013, 06:59:36 pm »
Hey y'all. I am a little hungry and thought maybe this can of worms could be opened...

I am trying to make a quick reference list of various woods that includes seasoning time, bark removal pre or post drying, which ones prefer backing, cutting time of year and maybe even reccomended bow design for each. If you would, please lsit three woods that you work with from the forest to the flinging. You can place your region as well, and may keep some new Canadian bowyer in BC from getting lost trying to find Osage in their back 40.

EX:  Pacific Yew - season 1 year min. with bark left on (CMB will argue this  ;) ) - best cut in fall through early spring, sapwood violable, requires no backing on healthy stave. longbows, recurves.

Ocean Spray - season 1 year with bark on. - cut anytime but be very aware; prone to checking deeply. do not violate back of bow. requires no backing if not violated. responds well to heat treatment. very dense wood!!! longbows, kid bows.

So, folks, let's get this argument started so I can make up a good list for quick easy reference!
 >:D
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline Joec123able

Re: Quick reference for bow woods.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 07:05:39 pm »
I think the drying time more depends on where you live and how thick the wood is.
I like osage

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 07:34:58 pm »
Something similar has already been tried and I think it's a great idea.  For whatever reason, it didn't get far.  I think it could be a great reference tool that would save a lot of time in research.  Especially since the search function leaves quite a little to be desired .  Here's the link. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,32042.0.html   Josh

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 09:25:21 pm »
I'm the one who wanted to start the thread as a resource. After all the nay-sayers had their say about the builders inability to gather "correct" data, and several other "nice" comments I figured the old guy would just keep makin bows and to hell with it. My bows aint looked on too kindly so figured one of the in-crowd could do it their way. It would have been a helpful resource in my opinion, and never was intended to be a scientific treatise anyway.
     Good luck to you because the idea is still sound, depends how much grief ya want to put up with to get it.
rich

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:20:18 pm »
Good Idea.  I build bows from boards mostly....actually wait.  That's all I've done so far so I could not be able to contribute much to this but I'd love to see the info.   

half eye!  What do you mean your bows aren't looked on too kindly!??!!?? you are one of the best bowyers on this site!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 10:56:52 pm »
Cool Idea...

Osage from Livingston, TX north to Dallas and over to Stephensville.
     Cut it when you can.
     Get the bark off as a minumum ASAP and seal the ends and back. Some folks like to take off the sapwood too.
     Can be hurried up, absolute minimum for me is six months seasoned roughed out to bow form and sealed.
     Better left to season for at least a year.

Hackberry Houston to Dallas
     Cut in early spring, best for me.
     Skin it and seal it back and ends
     Can be hurried up, one month if roughed out to bow form and sealed
     Best left to season for a year, personal preference.

Red Elm Houston to Dallas
     Cut in early spring, best for me.
     Skin it and seal it back and ends
     Can be hurried up, one month if roughed out to bow form and sealed
     Best left to season for a year, personal preference.

Bores are a REAL Nightmare here around Houston.
Anything with the bark left on is Fair Game for the bugs.
Bug Spray be Damned!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 11:08:25 pm »
Rhamnus Catharica, European Buckthorn - All over the northeast and northern midwest, Maine to Minnesota. Used as hedging on old farms

Cut anytime, but summer and spring are more likely to check.
Very twist prone, bark is not always easy to read.
Checks very easily, DO NOT leave staves debarked without thinning, WILL check and ruin stave. Checks start at pin knots, advise seal any pin knots doubly even if stave is reduced.
Probably a year drying to be safe, but I've made one or two after 4-5 months that turned out alright. Don't actually have any that's a year old.
Heat treating is a must with buckthorn.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 11:12:04 pm by TacticalFate »

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 03:40:13 pm »
Gus and Tactical have the right idea! THANKS! I am looking for experience not expertise. A guide for folk to reference as a way to be responsible when cutting living trees from the forest as to not waste a kill. The rest will go with experience!
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson